When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16234 Franken project - Is this a good call?

daveb33

Hey People, I am currently waiting on my Datejust Franken project to arrive so I can get started on putting it together.

By the looks of the tracking, I should be recieving my case this coming wednesday

Here is the link of what I have purchased... 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271549956346?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-Oyster-Perpetual-Dial-/251584645055?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=ydLUAOPnXrafdOOmdLt%252FGc0L74k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-16200-Dial-And-Hands-for-Repair-repaint-/221494210735?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=ydLUAOPnXrafdOOmdLt%252FGc0L74k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I took 2 of the stick markers from the old dial and fitted them to the white one and it looks brand new - the ebay pics make it appear marked but there is not a single scratch on the whole dial - it is spotless.

I have a steel engine turned bezed and gen 6mm crown for this from another project.

So, I have the 16234 case with serial (date is for 1990s I believe) , a white gold fluted bezel, 16200 case back, Sapphire Crystal and gen dial, gen 6mm tube and crown - now I need some more parts!

What I am thinking of getting is this from silix

http://silix-prime.co/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=115_158_218&products_id=2154

to obtain the eta clone with the datewheel attached.

Does this seem like a good idea?

I will also be buying a #2 moventment ring in brass to add to the weight and some aftermarket tudor eta hands (they should fit onto an asian eta clone?)

Or, Would it be better me (being in the uk) the just order an eta 2824 or 2836-2 from cousins uk? both around £145 each and finding a white datewheel overlay seperately?

Any input is very welcome, thank you for taking the time to read this, I am new to the site and look forward to sharing my project 

Cheers all,

Dave

Edited by daveb33

The stem position in the case tube will be to low with a 2836-2.. You can make it work, but it will die in the near future. The first and most important thing in any build, is the stem MUST be centered in the case tube with the dial mounted and movement secured. That will insure years of trouble free operation. Trust me on this

• Like 1

Mate, I see you have really good standing in these forums and I take your advice with greatful thanks. I appreciate it. Do you have a white overlay that I could purchase?

Any places you could reccomend to me in the uk to purchase said movement?

Thanks again

Dave

Good Morning Guys and Girls. Could anyone please share their thoughts about this movement with me in the link provided?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Automatic-GP-Movement-Compatible-With-ETA-2824-2-/261498827369?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce28b7269

Would this be a good option for my project? 

All input appreciated, thank you,

Dave

It should fit, but since you are using a dial with stick markers, you will need the H4 canon pinion setup, which it doesn't look like it has.

If using a clone movement is OK with you, I would buy one of TC's movements that already has the H4 conversion done and call it a day.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ok. So getting the parts together for this project has taken me considerable longer than I first thought.

I am nearly there.  So far I have 

Gen 16234 Complete case with sapphire crystal and white gold fluted bezel

Gen 6mm crown with smaller 5.3mm inside, aftermarket with gen tube

Genuine clasp

Aftermarket jubilee 

Gen 555 end links

Silver eta hands (tudor)

Datewheel overlay from a previous rep dj

Raffles time number 2 brass ring/spacer

ets case clamps

Brand new, gen eta 2824-2

oem datejust 1.8mm spring bars

Upon searching and advice already given to me, I am told that I will need to swap out the h2 set up to the h4 to allow clearance over the stick markers. I have found a local watch maker who is willing to do the work for 50 pounds ($80) 

My question is, Is this change 100% neccesary or can I complete the project with the h2 set up by puuting a little bend in the hands? Has anyone got any experience in doing so? 

In all honesty, its not the money that i am looking to save, I have a wedding coming up this weekend and really wanted to have the watch ready by then - Ive waited long enough that im sure another week wont kill me, but you all know how crazy waiting for these projects to come together can be!

Cheers

Dave

• 2 years later...