When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

noob explorer ii newb question

t.white.aw66

Puretime (Angus) is a good man and a watch-lover other than a seller. You can go for it. And yes, Noob factory is one of the best. But, still, you'd better compare gen pictures with the rep pictures at Angus's site (whose new domain is www.pure-time.com) to be absolutely sure that the watch will fit your desire.

He recently came back to posting on the forum with a great value posts like this: http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/149260-puretimes-mechanics-within-the-replica-watch-industry-v11-updated/  and this (posted today): http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/171893-puretimes-mechanics-within-the-replica-watch-industry-part-2-qs-answered-why-arent-simpledress-watches-repped/

Just remember to ask him (by mail, not here on the forum) if the model you would like to buy is available.

Cheers, GenTLe

PS: and read the thread I have in my signature, will save you from a lot of headaches!

GenTLe, can I ask you another question? should I invest the extra $180 for the Swiss ETA 2836 on the explorer ii or just go for the Asian 2836. I've read a lot of mixed opinions about the GMT watches not working well with the swiss ETA. I've also read a lot of post of folks paying for the swiss ETA and getting an asian copy anyway. any advice?

Hi,

I have the Noob version with the ETA, I personally like it, but please do your research on this watch, you'll find lots of people mention about IHS (Incorrect Hand Stack) on all of the Rolex GMT watches, basically this means that the hand that records the second time zone is at the very bottom of the stack of hands and at extreme the GMT hand is bent to clear the hour markers on the face. This is the real tell between rep and gen. The key with either movement is servicing, you can get bad Asian Clones and bad ETA's.

If you're happy with this, then go for it, whether ETA or Asian Clone, its a nice watch, I personally would go for the ETA and budget to have it serviced.

Eta now are practically a myth. As said dozen of times Eta stopped selling calipers on the free market in 2010. After 4 years it would be a real miracle to get a proper Swiss eta not mixed with Asian parts (clone and gen are 99 to 100% composed by exchangeable parts). I have had 2 Asian gmt rollie (BP factory production from Dec 2013 and may 2013) and both were ok. But in both cases the key is to service them (read my link In the signature...) since they were dry of oil. And this applies to "Swiss eta" too, unless not inside a gen fresh production watch.

So... If you want get the "eta", but then don't be frustrated if you post here the movement picture and we say it's a clone ;)

If you want a real fresh Swiss movement then you must go for a Sellita, but very few models, by now, have them.

What upper is by the way for the BP factory. Noob one's may have real eta inside as, for what I got, they also produce high level Chinese gens...

Thx for response GenTLe. so basically what you're saying is it's not really a wise investment to add the $180 upgrade for a (swiss 2836 25j movement)? the one that the watch comes with is an Asian 2836 25j which is I guess is the asian clone of a swiss eta2836? I just don't know for sure if adding the $180 UPGRADE is better, the same or worthless. I figured ordering from purtime it would be a legitament upgrade seeing as they have a great reputation on here. Am I wrong? Should I just get the noob explorer ii with the asian2836 25j for $328 and call it a day?

2824-2 and 2836-2 are both ETA calibers. So referring to "Swiss 2836-2" actually means "gen ETA 2836-2".

And yes, in my view it's not worth of money: you can get an asian clone of them (see in this GREAT thread the differences between gen and clones -> http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=26623 ) and, in case it breaks down in 1 or 2 years and you value to spend those 200$ saved before for the same watch, then swap it for a new fresh Sellita SW20x (again another gen to gen comparison here -> http://watchflipr.com/movements/sellita-sw200-vs-eta-2824-2/) :)

In any case, and again in my humble opinion, the best idea is not to spend 180$ for a "kind of" gen ETA but just 100$ for servicing the asian clone when you receive the watch, making it as reliable as the (fresh) gen :)