When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex GMT-II Movement replacement

jcrystal23

So after about 2 years of buying reps, started with cheap reps from China town in New York to now getting the best of the best from TC, Angus, Toro, etc. I have decided to take the jump and start making some of my own repairs and band replacements. I have a decent GMT II Blue Dial with Blue Ceramic insert. It's probably the nicest rep I got from my days of buying reps in China Town NYC. I'd like to replace the movement as the watch has recently stopped working. I am looking for a bit help.

what movement should I replace it with? 

Where is the best place to get movements? 

is a friction ball good enough to remove the back and put it back on properly? Or should I invest in some proper case openers?

Any other help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

post-60916-0-87696100-1407868372_thumb.j

Depending on the movement you have, most likely you will need an eta 2836-2 either asian or swiss. If you have the cheap db movement, neither the feet on the dial or the hands will fit. You can clip the feet and buy some hands for the eta. First, you need to remove the back. If a ball doesn't work, drop by a jeweler and ask him to loosen it. You will also need a new date wheel overlay.

Edited by mymanmatt

Talk to sneed12, he has done quite a few GMTIIC mods. You will need a GMT modified 2836, which is not easy to find. The regular ETA or Asian 2836 is a 3 hand movement, it is not a GMT movement. The DB3804 is a GMT movement, but it's a slow beat. If yours is and A2836 with a GMT Conversion, it's possible that someone like sneed could use the GMT parts in a better quality movement, like the ETA 2836-2

It's probably the nicest rep I got from my days of buying reps in China Town NYC. 

what movement should I replace it with? 

Where is the best place to get movements? 

is a friction ball good enough to remove the back and put it back on properly? Or should I invest in some proper case openers?

Any other help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

You need to know what movement you have. If it is a cheap rep then it likely has a Chinese movement.

If it is a Chinese movement, the you'd be best advised to get a Chinese DG3804b. They are good movements now, and would be a direct replacement, dial hands, date wheel, movement ring, and all. I use the DG3804b often in builds, as does RolexAddict in most of his builds. 

Most suppliers have Chinese movements now. Otto Frei, Jules Borel, Rafflestime, are just a few. Should be around $25usd. 

All I have and use is a friction ball. Never failed yet.

Other help or guidance? I'd make that green GMT hand red or all maybe all silver. Some acetone on a q-tip will remove the paint and not harm the plating. It really clashes with the blue to my eye.