When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking for some advice please.

BigStew

Hi all,

I have just joined the forum in the last few days,

I bought a replica UBoat and Rolex while on holiday. I have to say I'm blown away at the knowledge and skill shown by people on this site. I've included some pics of the replica as I have no idea of the origin or what movement is in it (no markings on the movement).

I have included some pictures of what I have bought and was looking to have the Rolex Water prof and made into the best it can be, when I purchased the Rolex I was told it was water prof and stainless steel but I was looking for your help or someone who offers the water testing service to set my mind at ease. The UBoat I have already taken to bits and want to use this watch to create my own project with the help of this forum.

I am also looking to expand my collection and hope to get some good quality replicas to do so.

What would your suggested first mod or action be? Have I made a big mistake?

Thanks

post-66424-0-50825000-1409124591_thumb.j

post-66424-0-80380600-1409124615_thumb.j

post-66424-0-90600200-1409124634_thumb.j

Hi and welcome, the DSSD looks perfectly fine to me, would wear it. Undecorated movements are the most reliable and the best.

For waterproofing on these You just need silicon grease as You´ve already opened it on the o-ring of the backcase and on the o-ring of the screw-in-crown (You may carefully use a toothpick with the crown pulled out totally). (Cousins.uk or ofrey in the states sell specific ones).

Do some research on the rep HE-valve, I think (unverified) it´s the only not waterproof part (normally) and has to be glued tight from the inside (which means releasing the stem and unscrewing the movement).

I use specific reps for swimming regularly. Just to mention, tolerances are bigger than on gens so it might leak around the glass, the tube of the crown might not be watertight etc. but normally this is not the case, the grease is a must.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome, the DSSD looks perfectly fine to me, would wear it. Undecorated movements are the most reliable and the best.

For waterproofing on these You just need silicon grease as You´ve already opened it on the o-ring of the backcase and on the o-ring of the screw-in-crown (You may carefully use a toothpick with the crown pulled out totally). (Cousins.uk or ofrey in the states sell specific ones).

Do some research on the rep HE-valve, I think (unverified) it´s the only not waterproof part (normally) and has to be glued tight from the inside (which means releasing the stem and unscrewing the movement).

I use specific reps for swimming regularly. Just to mention, tolerances are bigger than on gens so it might leak around the glass, the tube of the crown might not be watertight etc. but normally this is not the case, the grease is a must.

Thank you Nightwatch some great information, what would your suggested daily choice be for swimming ect and supplier to the uk?

Is there anyone on this site that I would be able to pay to complete the required work rather than attempt my self?

Thank you Nightwatch some great information, what would your suggested daily choice be for swimming ect 

Not sure if I got the question right, anyway my daily choice for swimming with, it would be a gen Seiko diver like these: http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-divers-60/index-1-3a.html

Edited by GenTLe

Hi, You might try Kenny including a re-lume job if You´re going for the expense or SSteel after You are a member for some more time and upgrade to VIP (both are not UK but EU).

Before You do it pls check the background info on that HE-valve, I didn´t do it o nsome it is just an outward application (the hole it fits in is not drilled into the case).

One of the best for waterproofing imo is the BP Seadweller, its also one of the best looking. I would prefer buying this with the Asian ETA from Intime (good to go with but not a TD on rwg), You could also ask Supermirrors. For double the price the best is the TC Submariner only available from TC with 2-3 months waiting time.

http://intime.co/product.php?id_product=1162
http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=10933

SD_9864cr2.jpg

also has a HE valve

IMG_2513csdr.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, You might try Kenny including a re-lume job if You´re going for the expense or SSteel after You are a member for some more time and upgrade to VIP (both are not UK but EU).

Before You do it pls check the background info on that HE-valve, I didn´t do it o nsome it is just an outward application (the hole it fits in is not drilled into the case).

One of the best for waterproofing imo is the BP Seadweller, its also one of the best looking. I would prefer buying this with the Asian ETA from Intime (good to go with but not a TD on rwg), You could also ask Supermirrors. For double the price the best is the TC Submariner only available from TC with 2-3 months waiting time."

Forgive me for being a noob but how do I get in contact with these people and would you suggest a re-lume at the same time, how much does this process usually cost? Is water proofing expensive? Should I change the movement?

The HV presses in but as I am really new to this I have no idea if it's all the way through the case.

A budget evaluation of the cost of a relume  is around 80€, a full movement service is around 100€ or more, a water proof assesment is around other 35€ or so.

Yes. Expensive.

But the time required and the needed skills are not that easy to form and to find around. So, if you want to follow that path, those're the costs.

About contacting them: SSTeel is here too, so you can directly PM him (but beware: he's accepting works only by the VIP members of the forum in order to deal with people that knows how the things go and have acceptable requests, other that it's not his main job), while KeNnY is on RWG.bz, so you can contact him from there.

• Like 1

A budget evaluation of the cost of a relume  is around 80€, a full movement service is around 100€ or more, a water proof assesment is around other 35€ or so.

Yes. Expensive.

But the time required and the needed skills are not that easy to form and to find around. So, if you want to follow that path, those're the costs.

About contacting them: SSTeel is here too, so you can directly PM him (but beware: he's accepting works only by the VIP members of the forum in order to deal with people that knows how the things go and have acceptable requests, other that it's not his main job), while KeNnY is on RWG.bz, so you can contact him from there.

Thanks

As I am new what is RWG.bz?

As it presses IN: the rep HE valves too often work the wrong way 'round. ie: you can depress the valve from outside the case so therefore they let pressure in but not out. That is the opposite of how an HE valve should work. It could be good to 2 ATM maybe 3 but that´s not a lot. Read that members just glue it with hypo cement or transparent araldite.

Of course You can always go with creation watches they ship ultrafast and no extra DHL-shipping fees, as gentle suggested: http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-divers-60/seiko-automatic-divers-200m-jubilee-bracelet-skx009k2-skx009-712.html is a fine one as well.

I don't think this watch worth any modding. There's $10 DG-2813 inside, most probably, from Nanning factory, because GZ Dixmont DG-2813 visually is way better movement.

It's low beat, 21,600 bph, real Rolex has hi-beat mov't, 28,800, so, it's main giveaway. There's many other flaws, like crownguards, pearl, etc.

If you paid more, than $120 - you was robbed, mate.

And don't forget - there's no such a thing, as "waterproof replica". Need serious work to make it waterproof.

• Like 1

I don't think this watch worth any modding. There's $10 DG-2813 inside, most probably, from Nanning factory, because GZ Dixmont DG-2813 visually is way better movement.

It's low beat, 21,600 bph, real Rolex has hi-beat mov't, 28,800, so, it's main giveaway. There's many other flaws, like crownguards, pearl, etc.

And don't forget - there's no such a thing, as "waterproof replica". Need serious work to make it waterproof.

Im with him go buy the new noob dssd from one of our tds a great rep no need to do anything accept WR test it and your good to go

About the no such thing as waterproof replica im not with you Got a rolex Sub i bought in a yard sale from the 90s for 10bucks best watch i ever owned beats my gen it can take a beating still waterproof to this day it has many visual flaws but Damn its a good watch haha

Look who's talking about robbing :rofl:

• 4 weeks later...

Not at all!   The watch will look gen to 95% of those who see it on your wrist.   Wear it till it dies on you, then "bin it"..........

Thanks everyone so what your saying is I should bin it and start again. What one would you buy and from what trader please could you post a link.

Thanks Bigstew

• Like 1