When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

suggestions other than USPS for sending in the US

chris5264

I agree, USPS Express International or Priority International are pretty reliable and while not cheap, they are not nearly as expensive as UPS or FedEx.  Recently I had a conversation with the customer service representative at our local PO, he told me that they had just had a meeting the day before and the postmaster told everyone that the USPS was really cracking down on scanning packages. He told me that the warning was if you miss a scan, you will be warned. The next time it goes in your personnel file, repeated "misses" will be subject to suspension, loss of pay and would definitely reflect on future promotions. This is welcome news, because in the past tracking was a joke, but it must be working, because I'm seeing a whole lot more tracking information on my packages. The downside is once the package leaves the USA, then it's up to the destination country to continue the tracking. Some are very good some are not.

Another consideration is the customs paperwork. USPS requires one multi-copy form PS 2976-A.  FedEx and UPS have multiple forms, they require acommercial invoice, which includes the country of origin of the product being exported as well as the harmonized code which is a specific code that they use to determine duty and taxes.  For example the harmonized code for wristwatches, mechanical winding non precious metal or clad case is # 910221 Other wrist watches With automatic winding. Because of the scrutiny by FedEx and UPS at their customs clearing centers, I would never send a rep to another country using these carriers. Inside the USA, fine, overseas, no.