When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Inaugural post – Ready to begin an expensive habit – appreciate any advice on these 2 AP watches I’m considering

malcolm72

Hey RWG,

I recently registered (after scouring through the forums for a # of weeks) and I believe I'm ready to dive into the world of reps. I own a few gens and recently I came close to purchasing a gen AP, however, I came to the realization that at my age, 27, I have no business purchasing such an expensive watch. Throwing those funds into an index fund for the next 25 years is certainly the smart, albeit difficult, thing to do. If you can't already tell, I'm a "financial" oriented individual.

I have a rather problematic obsession with beautiful works of art (read: watches) which I'm sure many, if not all of you, can relate to. When I stumbled across this forum I knew I found my new home.

So with my introduction complete I kindly request the help of the esteemed group of RWG enthusiasts. I have my eye on two AP watches at the moment and it's my hope that those who have walked the road I wish to travel can offer me some direction.

#1 Timeless (non pun intended but totally indented):

Royal Oak Offshore 44mm RG Noob 1:1 Best Edition A7750 from Pure Time

#2 I believe this is the better rep of the two:

Royal Oak Offshore 44mm Forged Carbon 1:1 Best Edition A7750 from Pure Time

**OR**

Royal Oak Offshore 44mm Forged Carbon Noob 1:1 Best Edition A7750 from Pure Time

Any advice would greatly be appreciated. I look forward to becoming a common contributor to your community.

P.S. I apologize for the lack of URLs, as a noob it does not seem I'm permitted to add them to my initial 5 posts. If a crew member could add them to my post I would be grateful.

Id personally go for FC at age 27. But get the J12 version instead of the Noob. The Noob has a few inaccuracies compared to the J12 44 FC.

Can I know what inaccuracies are on the Noob FC? I personally think it looks good too except for that blue cyclops tint. :lol:

Both the Noob and J12 have their own flaws but overall, its a very well-repped watch. :)

I just had a conversation with Vac relative to the crappy a7750 movements in the AR ROO's ( I have two of four that have been really problematic) he seems to think that the J12 has a better movement than the noob. I thought they were all using the same movements? Any comments on this? I will say, no matter how cosmetically perfect the watch is, if the movement is not reliable, it is going to be a frustrating and expensive proposition. I have four AP ROO chronos, two are fine, not a bit if trouble, two have been a headache from the onset, both are being repaired now, one has been back and forth three times the other twice!!! Very frustrating and expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I know what inaccuracies are on the Noob FC? I personally think it looks good too except for that blue cyclops tint. :lol:

Both the Noob and J12 have their own flaws but overall, its a very well-repped watch. :)

Aside from the blue tint I cannot see a difference, either. Thanks for the help thus far, guys.

Aside from the blue tint I cannot see a difference, either. Thanks for the help thus far, guys.

Just FYI, there has been a debate of the quality of the the Noob FC case vs the J12 FC case.

I have seen genuine 44FC cases that are more glossy, and some more matte in finishing. 

The forged carbon material can be rather organic in this aspect, displaying variance in the marbling, glossiness, and of course, the "grains"..

Having said that, the 44mm FC ROO is one of the best reps for the ROO to be released, you cannot go wrong with that. I would recommend it over the J12 RG ROO 44mm, both in terms of accuracy and versatility. Pick either version and you would likely be happy and not crave for the other. :)

oh, and welcome to the addictive world of reps. ;)