When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Received a broken watch

gmtlover

Hi Guys,

after a fairly long wait (almost 6 weeks) I received 3 watches today. 2 for a friend and one for myself.

Unfortunately the watch IWC big pilot has a loose date wheel..

I have repaired a keyless works on an eta 2836 before, but I am somewhat scared to remove the black painted hands and damage them.

Any tips on that..And can there be more surprises?

Also the rotor ( counterbalance ) is huge..this puts a lot of pressure on the screw and it was loose when I opened the rear. I will order a new (normal size) rotor for this watch. The big design rotor doesn't make any sense and is just a time bomb waiting to break..

I do have a hand remover tool and a hand press to put the hands back on..

Any tips for this procedure?

post-41219-0-46046800-1415914976_thumb.j

post-41219-0-14132500-1415914995_thumb.j

post-41219-0-21095800-1415915016_thumb.j

Go slow!

As said, use a dial protector. You can cut a slot in a business card if you don't have one.

Try not to touch the hands with your fingers or metal tweezers, use Rodico if you have it. I use a Post-it note when reassembling. I stick the bottom of the hands to it. That way I have something to hold onto when pressing the hands back.

Good luck and keep us posted

My method involves placing a plastic sandwich baggie over the hands/dial and gently prying them out with a set of hand levers. It's a trick I got off a member of one of these forums

Not a fan of the dial protector and it's too thick, especially for the chrono hands

2-pcs-Watch-hand-romover-Hand-Levers-wat

Yoiu can reglue it, but you should find some slow drying one because you'll need to reposition it many times.

Personally I use UHU Endfest 300 (very little amount), as it's incredibly strong (300kg/cm2) but it fully dries in 12h and gives you around 30mins (even more if you put less catalyst component in the mixture) to reposition it.

It will be a lot of "put the dwo in position / put the dial / remove the dial / reposition it / put the dial / verify it's ok / move it 15 days advance / remove the dial / reposition it ..."