When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Extreme Mods On Pam 063 2893

flavor flav

this watch was shipped to me by a very lucky forum member here to install a genuine hand set. i thought i'd share some pics of what's involved with this mod. this watch has been relumed and serviced by The Zigmeister. flat out the best relume i've ever seen. rob, i have no idea how it's even possible to recreate the numerals as perfect as you do! has a palp crown installed that looks amazing! finally the gen hands set i was called on to install.

i'll let the pics do most the talking here. the genuine hands are much nicer finished than the rep hands but pretty expensive. :D

first the case back is removed then the movement clamps, crown gaurd, and crown is pulled.

*******important tip...very important! to remove the stem, always use a screwdriver that will EXACTLY fit the stem release slot and ALWAYS pull the stem to the time setting position when removing. this will ensure you don't jam the keyless works which then requires you remove the dial, datewheel and keyless cover and have to reset everything which is a tedious job no one likes to do********

169329-10202.jpg

here you can see this movement is worth the extra $$$ :D

same spec as genuine. ETA 2893

169329-10203.jpg

****important tip. after pulling the movement. place in a movement holder and reinstall the crown. next set all hands to 12:00 and pull the crown to time setting position to "hack" the seconds hand at 12:00. this will ensure the date will turn over at the correct time :D *****

to remove the hands without damaging the dial, place watch paper covering everything but the hand stack. attach the hand puller and pull the stack. i pull all at once to prevent damage to the lower hands.

169329-10204.jpg

169329-10205.jpg

now here we have a butt naked sexy woman named pam :D

169329-10206.jpg

here is the hands sets. rep on the left and genuine panerai on the right.

169329-10207.jpg

******important tip! NEVER TOUCH THE HANDS!!! i always use special care even though it takes 5 times longer to install them, to never touch the hands! finger prints and scratches will occur from barely touching highly polished metals used on hands. i always press on with a bergeon hand pusher with nylon tips and set the hands using a wooden stick wrapped in rodico putty*****

installing first the GMT hand

169329-10208.jpg

next the hour hand

169329-10209.jpg

setting the minute hand with the wooden stick wrapped in rodico putty

169329-10210.jpg

after installing each hand, check the allignment they sould be even with the dial and each hand.

169329-10211.jpg

169329-10212.jpg

here is a lume shot so everyone can see what The Zigmeister can do :D the man is amazing. lume matches gen hands lume color and brightness perfect.

169329-10213.jpg

a few more shots to show off the 2893 before i reassemble it.

169329-10214.jpg

169329-10215.jpg

always place watch paper in your hand before you install the movement in the case. remember don't touch anything with your bare hands. use high quality tweezers, screwdrivers, putty, and real watch paper to insure there is no smudging or damage.

169329-10216.jpg

*****important tip. always use a blower to remove all particles and dust. you wouldn't want to be staring at dust inside the crystal or on the dial******

169329-10217.jpg

reinstall the stem the same way you took it out :D VERY CAREFULL HERE!

169329-10218.jpg

tighten all the clamps, grease the o-rings, use care on the crown gaurd screws not to strip and never use loctite as thew threads here often strip.

169329-10219.jpg

here's the results! i threw it on my genuine gator strap for pics. check out the awesome palp crown! :D

169329-10220.jpg

169329-10221.jpg

169329-10222.jpg

I am especially interested in this watch.... though I don't know why. :whistling:

Chris, you have far exceeded my expectations. Thank you so much for your effort!

EDIT -- and let me just also add a note about The Zigmeister. If you doubt whether the money or the risk to send to Canada are worth it, Flav's opinion of the work should confirm that it IS worth it. You simply cannot believe the quality of the lume on this watch. Zig warned me that because he did it by hand that it might not be uniform, but God help me I simply cannot see any imperfections. It is THAT good.

Nice post, great to see all the correct tools, workmanship, skills, and an informative post with all the warnings for those that may attempt something like this themselves.

Well done, I like to see quality craftmanship and attention to detail...great job, and nice photo's as well...

RG

You set the standard here, Rob. You and Chris make this hobby possible. Thank you to both of you.

WOW! Fantastic watch & tutorial! :Jumpy:

I would have had it before starting my tenths open-mod-then-close-again on my 028A...

Flava,...Fantastic,.. I have been wanting to view a hand replacement job for quite some time...

This is one for the vault,.. for sure,..

Thanks much for taking the time ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Question: Is it true that once hands are pulled, that it's best to replace them with new ones ?

That is somehow ruins the original fit ?

Question: Is it true that once hands are pulled, that it's best to replace them with new ones ?

Only on certain movements, like the 2894 that generates so much torque resetting the chrono that if you put the same hands back on, you get to see the second hand fly all over the place, apparently.

Flava,...Fantastic,.. I have been wanting to view a hand replacement job for quite some time...

This is one for the vault,.. for sure,..

Thanks much for taking the time ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

if you are not very careful removing the hands, they can easily be damaged. reusing the hands is fine unless they get damaged pulling off. this is why i am extremely careful and pull the whole stack at once to prevent scratches.

chief-

Is the 20 minutes a static difference, or is it a growing discrepancy?

If it is static at 20 minutes and has not changed (i.e. it remains at 20 minutes off), I would bet that it's a matter of where the hand was positioned when installed. If you notice that it's a changing figure (i.e. it was never a problem when you got it, but was at 20 minutes difference 2 days ago and has grown to 25 minutes difference by today for example), I'd say the hand is slipping (perhaps on the pinion).