When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 5514 build

ww12345

F3F1E2A9-F59E-4D83-9CE9-93A70EEDC719.jpg

If you want a 5514 it is not a good base .. Actually it is not a good base for anything .. I suggest you to try to find an HH case in m2m sales or go for a phong 5514 case those are the best options .. Especially the phong 5514 case which is above the other

If you want a 5514 it is not a good base .. Actually it is not a good base for anything .. I suggest you to try to find an HH case in m2m sales or go for a phong 5514 case those are the best options .. Especially the phong 5514 case which is above the other

To be honest for £100 I disagree I think it's a great base! We're not talking Phong $800 or HH $350, so for the money it ain't bad. Different strokes for different folks mate.

I mean if were brutally honest why not blow $50k on a gen and be done with it!

Edited by Frazzle1

To be honest for £100 I disagree I think it's a great base! We're not talking Phong $800 or HH $350, so for the money it ain't bad. Different strokes for different folks mate.

I mean if were brutally honest why not blow $50k on a gen and be done with it!

Nothing personnal.. Relax dude, sorry if I sound rude, i didn't mean to.. The gen is more like 80k€ btw..

And phong is 1000USD only for mid case and caseback

If you want to use it as a base then I will suggest you to reshape the case, and escpially to shave the CG's.. And to go for a whoopy dial.. And for 100£ you also have the cartel cases a 5513 cartel case will be more accurate in term of thickness because the cartel 5514 is actually a 1665 case with 5514 engravings so it is too junky. :)

Edited by ingelero

Why not use a gen pre-comex 5513 smudge dial? yeah, it needs a gen cal 1520, but I personally think a phong case deserves a gen movement. The pre-comex is much more believable too (well, cause it's gen). Anyhow, i've built a couple of 5514's and that's what I did.

+ 1 !

Unfortunately the pre COMEX dials are quiet rare on sale.. But if I find one I will definetely go for it. Actually I am looking atm at an affordable at a gem Matt meter first dial (my favorite) with non serif hour markers.

It is true that a phong cases deserve all gen parts !

Nothing personnal.. Relax dude, sorry if I sound rude, i didn't mean to.. The gen is more like 80k€ btw..

And phong is 1000USD only for mid case and caseback

If you want to use it as a base then I will suggest you to reshape the case, and escpially to shave the CG's.. And to go for a whoopy dial.. And for 100£ you also have the cartel cases a 5513 cartel case will be more accurate in term of thickness because the cartel 5514 is actually a 1665 case with 5514 engravings so it is too junky. :)

Completely see where you are coming from, and didn't mean to sound like I was jumping down your neck either.

Sadly some of us just don't have that sort of money to lavish on a replica watch though.

Consequently I appreciate the advice reference the 5513 case as I hadn't thought of that. Should I stick with this case however I have every intention of some serious reshaping work and a beautiful Whoopy dial (already touched base with him on this one).

Cheers

Completely see where you are coming from, and didn't mean to sound like I was jumping down your neck either.

Sadly some of us just don't have that sort of money to lavish on a replica watch though.

Consequently I appreciate the advice reference the 5513 case as I hadn't thought of that. Should I stick with this case however I have every intention of some serious reshaping work and a beautiful Whoopy dial (already touched base with him on this one).

Cheers

Actually If you want a know, I don't have so much money lol I am just a poor little med school student that try to save some pennies for a project like that .. I used to have a lot of cheap "vintage" ROLEX replicas from TD's and I must admit that I can not stand them now, some might be cool to use as a base but if you want a real vintage look and feel, you have no choice than going Franken with some high quality aftermarket parts and gen parts.. That's my point.. Building a watch is a great experience because you learn a lot while the process because of all the research you do to source parts .. You take your time and once it is finished believe me that you will be more happy with it than buying a complete watch. Good luck with your build and keep us updated !

• Like 1

Same here - just a poor teacher... :)

Like ephry said, the key is patience and in my opinion, not just settling. Like ingelero said - I have tons of early reps that are just too inaccurate for me to want to wear. The more accurate the parts are, the more it feels like a gen and less like a rep. Seriously though, it pays to slow down and really take your time to learn about the reference. Then, you can really justify the flaws and inaccuracies and decide if you can live with them. Depending on the case, you could probably build a decent low to mid-level build. If you have more pics, I'm sure people here (myself included) would be more than willing to give you pointers on some suppliers and directions to go. :)

Same here - just a poor teacher... :)

Like ephry said, the key is patience and in my opinion, not just settling. Like ingelero said - I have tons of early reps that are just too inaccurate for me to want to wear. The more accurate the parts are, the more it feels like a gen and less like a rep. Seriously though, it pays to slow down and really take your time to learn about the reference. Then, you can really justify the flaws and inaccuracies and decide if you can live with them. Depending on the case, you could probably build a decent low to mid-level build. If you have more pics, I'm sure people here (myself included) would be more than willing to give you pointers on some suppliers and directions to go. :)

My friend would you mind taking a profile picture of your 5514, I want to see how is the the starting bezel ?

What can you tell us about the quality of the bezel and of the retaining ring ?

I have a genuine tropic 19 Crystal and I am not sure if it will fit properly, this is why I am saving funds for a complete gen bezel assembly.

Thanks mate for your help

The startime bezel is supposedly same as gen service. It's pretty good, after being modded - I think the case set and bezel are one of the best in my watch box. I have a gen T39 on mine and it fits perfectly. No water contact, but looks amazing. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

The startime bezel is supposedly same as gen service. It's pretty good, after being modded - I think the case set and bezel are one of the best in my watch box. I have a gen T39 on mine and it fits perfectly. No water contact, but looks amazing. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

Unfortunately the gen t39 and gen t19 has different outer diameter, but I am looking forward to see pictures of it :)

no they dont.. the OD's are the same.... the T39 is thicker and taller... but ww's T39 was trimmed to be just slightly taller than a T19.

Ah ok thanks for the info, i have eead in TRF. That that are different once but never verified the veracity of it.

So the startime bezel assembly will for directly without any mod my phong case with gen t19 on ? And will accept a gen insert without modding it ?

If it is it will be a nice alternative to a complete gen bezel assembly

The ST bezel is matte raw stainless..   it needs to be polished before its acceptable.  but yes, the ST bezel assembly will fit only any gen spec case/crystal.  As for the insert, it's a tight fit on the bezel but most inserts should fit.  But I ahve heard that somehave needed to slightly shave the insert to fit..

• 2 weeks later...