When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Info needed...

automatico

I have an aftmkt 18K DJ type case and need a dial for it. I can get by using an Eta 28xx, Bulova etc movement and had a Bulova dial refinished like a 'California' dial but it is 28.5mm and will fall through the dial window.

The dial opening is 28.5mm and the dial seat will accept a dial up to 30.9mm.

What I need is a dial 29.5 to 30.9mm in diameter.

One fix is to cement the Bulova California dial to another dial larger in diameter that will hold it in place and have a 30.9mm brass dial plate cut but it is .4mm thick and might make the hands too close to the dial but I could sand it down a little and it would probably help. Since the dial is made for a 1960s\1970s Bulova (date) 11BLACD there are no taller hour wheel/cp around for them although it does have the same date offset as rolex.

Does anyone have a dial from a DJ II that they can measure?

Modern 36mm QS DJ dials are 27.85mm.

This case has been in the project box since February 2001 and needs to be finished...29.1 grams with an 18k case tube and smooth bezel, no crystal. The case neck is 29.5mm so it will accept a modern acrylic or sapphire crystal...Cal dial with acrylic or modern type dial with sapphire.The smooth bezel is fairly thin so a taller sapphire bezel will push the case past 30 grams.

What if you sourced a Bulova Super Seville spacer ring?  I once bought a Seville for the higher pinion 2836 to use in a Datejust franken build.  I was able to use the larger plastic spacer in place of the raffles #2 after a bit of shaving, but it was about as close to a stilty spacer ring as you could get.  Worked awesome.

sale027.jpg

Thanks, good idea.

I have a Stilty spacer but it is not big enough in outer diameter being 28.5mm.

The catch is the spacer needs to be bigger than the Bulova dial (28.5mm) so it will catch behind the 28.5mm date window to hold the dial/movement in place. I may make a spacer similar to a Stilty spacer but about 30.9mm in diameter so it will catch on the inside of the dial window. Then all that is left is to have two brackets laser welded inside the case for the case clamps. I have a scrap gold wedding ring that I bought to make the brackets.

I thought the Seville dial may have been bigger because the dial feet actually fit into the spacer holes (seen next to the movement claw catches) not the movement - but in measuring it, the old dial is still only 28.5ish mm. The dial feet are only relocated further toward the outside of the dial to accommodate the day wheel - I was hoping the dial was bigger - sorry.