When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1016 Project Part 2

droptopman

Working on another 1016 build. Since Whoopy decided to do another run of dials I was able to source a better dial for this project. Bought one of JMB's new CNC milled cases. Much easier than the last go with the first case set. About 6 hours difference in labor time. I was able to get the profile of the genuine case on the first case but all that work and removal of metal made it difficult to keep the edges. This go around I was very careful to not loose the edges. Case from JMB shape wise is excellent, but needed some finishing work. This is a small ding right on the edge from the CNC work. This is on 2 of the lugs and I did my best to remove it while still holding the edge. In the end I want the edge crisp more than I care about the little mark. It is supposed to be a 50 year old watch.....The movement stopped in my current 1016 so this is a good time to work on this project. In the end I will have 2 complete watches, will keep one and sell one.

This one will go back to JMB for proper engravings. Thanks JMB for all the hard work on these.

All I need now is the dial from Whoopy, a lume job on the dial and TC hands and assembly. Probably a few months out but here are some pics of the cases. Uploading pics from my phone in a second.

First case set:

cf452c170bd30eb35e5f764e0952605a.jpg

69190b25b963322ef32dc83ad94ae697.jpg

New CNC version:

af17dcedbeb0500f2c703f25417e3fa8.jpg

f81a7f57db2b79b78df41399fa3ea7ed.jpg

66f398da6cbc93745d2b468ced4d6282.jpg

c9e2d357396468a353c74907e8956e82.jpg

• Like 1

That really is a good looking case. Can't beat it for the money. Would definitely recommend to anyone that they save themselves a lot of headaches (and money) by going that route.

I've got my 1016 on the wrist now. Hard to imagine Whoopy's dial getting any better, but I'll be interested to see it.

1016-4_zpsf8f9b8a2.png