When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Possible 5512 build, 4 liner chapter ring, gilt

denverbass79

Looking into my first Vintage Rolex build, and I've decided my favorite is the 5512 gilt with chapter ring and 4 liner. Something about that dial with a little aging to lume t seems very elegant to me. I believe this dial only came with PCG, which I'm less fond of and could possibly skip, even if it is less authentic. 

I'm trying to not break the bank, so looking at couple of low to mid price options. 

One is the HR version. They said they can do the dial printing as I indicated, so all I would need to do is get some aging done, maybe find a bracelet. Maybe replace pearl. I like the idea of sapphire glass for practice reasons. This runs around $600 + aging. 

Another option might be the Perfect Clones model, sourcing a dial, then aging. Seems like the the pearl and insert might need to be replaced too. It does come with bracelet as well. Should be less than HR, maybe under $500 + mods. 

Any other good options for similar price points? I'm not sure if either case offers clear advantages over another. Another concern is quality of the HR dial or whether there's a better aftermarket version that that will fit either of these cases/movements.

I've noticed Yuki doesn't have correct colors for the 4 liner. Ingod seems to but I'm unclear about whether they're still in business.

http://www.ingod44.com/rolex-submariner-chapter-gilt-dial-ref-5512-4line/

I'm also open to suggestions for US dial modders- just looking for some light aging, mostly to get the lume more yellow. I'm pretty terrible at DIY things so probably better to outsource. I've gathered the lugs may need drilling or other things but not quite clear.

Here's what I'm going for:

IMHO the only "cheap" case that gives you enough to mod to PCG would be the MBW. However, if you were going to skip that mod, the PC version should meet your needs. Unfortunately, I don't believe ingod is still in business. Not really sure where you could get a gilt 5512 dial. I believe Yuki has an acceptable white dial...