When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"Going gen"

Guest rg21044

Having some 28 watches to choose from has changed my attitude since discovering this hobby.    I love the two gens I have, but frankly, they get almost no wrist time.   Having a wide selection of choices every day is far more attractive to me than spending $5k and up for a plain old SS Sub.   

I find that I only wear one watch, it's usually the one I like most and the other gets worn but I find myself always going back to the other. I guess this is why only one watch suits me, always has, even when I had more than one Gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've thought about this before and decided against selling my collection of reps, sold quite a few mind you and atm I'm hovering around the 25 mark  ;)  16 of which are reps, mostly Rolex/Tudor builds that quite simply I couldn't afford to have if they were all Gen. 

I always have maybe 1 or 2 OOTB reps in the watchbox. Otherwise like others here I enjoy my builds.

Since mine are mostly vintage Panerai builds the ability to purchase gen isn't reasonable for me.

I have about half my watchbox with gens and I enjoy them as well. It's good to keep a mix.

Sent from the my iPhone using Tapatalk s

I love building franken's but I do always need one gen lying around for some reason, I guess it keeps me connected to that world. I'm a serial flipper, but I only like to have one max 2 gens at any given time.

Without hijacking this thread.... The franken thing..... I just don't get it, I understand creating a near perfect build, using rep or aftermarket parts and re-shaping etc... into something that really does replicate the gen.. but I'm not sold on the idea of mixing rep and gen parts. Maybe someone could enlighten me please. :)

• Like 1

I have waffled between reps and gens countless times over the last few years.  It tends to go in cycles for me.  If I have a bad experience with a rep, it makes me want to swear off them completely and go solely to gens.  But then that's gets old also, and I find myself dabbling back with reps.  Goes in waves for me.  Right now I think I am going to be done with reps for a while and buy one gen that I can keep.  Of course, that could change tomorrow, and often does.  :)

In my case, the only ones I've ever built were vintage daytona's and big crown subs from the 50's.. It's very satisfying to source parts and gather them up, also to talk to other collectors and make relationships in the gen world.

The parts aren't getting any cheaper so I'm really never concerned with getting my money back, if I can't sell it to an enthusiast I can part it out quite easily.. Mixing rep and gen parts is inevitable, not every part is available or affordable in it's gen form, and the idea is to get as close as possible. It's also nice to be able to wear my frankens, I would not wear their gen counterparts, those would have to be stored away. I can't really explain it but there's something very magical about the whole process. You either love it or you don't I guess. I'm fortunate and can probably buy a genuine 6538 if I tried hard enough but I rather make my own. I will gladly pay big bucks for a modern watch that I like, but I can't say the same for vintage Rolex's. The fact that they are tool watches and were very reasonably priced when they were available to buy from Rolex makes it very hard for me to justify spending 60k for a 300$ watch. I Just can't do it.

• Like 2

Thanks man! I totally understand where you're coming from, if that's your thing then that's cool. It's just not for me, maybe it's a progression thing and I'll get to the same point as you. For now those pam homage are a good adventure for me.

I Appreciate it cc33 :)

• Like 1