When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new 1625 Thunderbird

Beachcomber

Well, I've decided to keep my sub and pick this one up as well. It's vintage alright, original everything, white gold bezel, original bracelet and powered by a diehard cal. 1570. Not many seen in the wild either. Not sure I want to do anything to it as I like the look just how it is. Thought I'd share it with you, a full photo shoot and review once it arrives. 2af60536d43bea25278bc7d4fdf8c091.jpg16041ff1f3fb1ced3239279dfe326467.jpg80695c572f584854c77bde0e41fb0591.jpgde04b9ab657d3b71108da210e10dce46.jpgec4dcf54fbd5fd6cdbe2e729758914f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes, the bezel is why I chose this one, white gold is awesome. I have worn 36mm DJs before and they look, fine. I'm kinda thinking the bezel will make it wear a little larger as well. Man, I'm very excited about this one, I'm a Sub guy but this one really caught my attention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The thunderbirds have always been a personal favorite... But Ive never quite understood the meaning of hoeing that kind of bezel on a date just, does it even rotate?

Yup, the bezel does rotate, they are and they aren't a Datejust, basically the same but a different reference number altogether. The seller is holding it for me until he get back from vacation, so I'm still thinking about it. I do like subs though and have been offered one by a great forum member so I may just go with the Sub.

Yup, the bezel does rotate, they are and they aren't a Datejust, basically the same but a different reference number altogether. The seller is holding it for me until he get back from vacation, so I'm still thinking about it. I do like subs though and have been offered one by a great forum member so I may just go with the Sub.

Ok i understand! Cool!

Of course, its a different ref number, although it does share all parts excl. Bezel with the datejust, am i correct?

Wow, straight trade for a sub? That sounds like a very good deal!

The thunderbirds have always been a personal favorite... But Ive never quite understood the meaning of hoeing that kind of bezel on a date just, does it even rotate?

If you think about it, all that bezel does is offer a simple ability to track units of time. If you have a meeting in 20 minutes, you rotate the bezel accordingly so that the arrow points to your future minute when the meeting begins. Have a steak on the grill and you need to flip it in 5 minutes? Rotate the bezel.

The Turnograph predated the submariner by many years and offered that feature. Then the sub took it and made it useful for diving by having a thicker and more robust, water resistant case, but the basic feature is the same. The Thunderbird offered that feature on a sleek, dress watch without having to wear a clunky dive watch to get it.

• Like 2

If you think about it, all that bezel does is offer a simple ability to track units of time. If you have a meeting in 20 minutes, you rotate the bezel accordingly so that the arrow points to your future minute when the meeting begins. Have a steak on the grill and you need to flip it in 5 minutes? Rotate the bezel.

The Turnograph predated the submariner by many years and offered that feature. Then the sub took it and made it useful for diving by having a thicker and more robust, water resistant case, but the basic feature is the same. The Thunderbird offered that feature on a sleek, dress watch without having to wear a clunky dive watch to get it.

Absolutely. Thanks for this post.

Guest silvershark

Congrats on the purchase!

Love the "TOG" I had one a few years back in SS/YG. I still regret selling it now!  Also love the pie pan dials. Seriously thinking about getting another one once funds allow. Wear it well my friend!