When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Explorer II without lug holes: when was it launched?

Stephane

Hey Guys,

I've been browsing quite a while but cannot find anything very precise.

I'm wondering when Rolex stopped their lug-holed Explorers II.
I assume 2005 but couldn't find any confirmation of that.

Any one can help finding out the precise date for this one?

All the best,

Stephane

I have 2003 end Y-series Exp II with papers dated to aprill 2004 and it was the last year. It's like a hybrid with holes and SEL bracelet.

I think that 2003 Rolex stopped making cases with holes. But they sold still some of these through the first half of the 2004 year. That was the deal here with my Y-series with 2004 papers.

2004 second half Exp II definitely has no holes cases.

Hi Stephane! Good to see you around.

I agree with J.S. on this- similar to the sub where the lugholes disappeared in 2003 mid Y serial, it would make sense that the same happened with the Explorer II.

I wonder if they called it a T case like on the sub! 

I have 2003 end Y-series Exp II with papers dated to aprill 2004 and it was the last year. It's like a hybrid with holes and SEL bracelet.

I think that 2003 Rolex stopped making cases with holes. But they sold still some of these through the first half of the 2004 year. That was the deal here with my Y-series with 2004 papers.

2004 second half Exp II definitely has no holes cases.

Don't forget rolex continued the 14060 ND sub well into the no holes era. I love the bezel engraved 4 line 14060 :)

I just looked up this same question about the 16610 and J.S. Is correct. Officially 2003, but Rolex is all about using up old stock, so some into early 2004. After late 2004 most likely all with no holes cases going forward.

I sort of use this cut off as my personal definition of vintage vs contemporary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So speaking of holes vs no holes my buddy is buying a RANDOM serial 14060 bezel engraved 4 line dial...I wonder if that'll be a rare breed one day :)

Of course, 40 years from now it's pretty vintage!

To the point:

If your friend likes more "classical vintage" look, go with 2 liner, looks cleaner. More modern look - 4 liner.

Newer ones with date have all 4 liners and dials look crowded with all the text and cyclops. Look those.

Edited by J.S.