When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai 147 from Joshua

jjajh

I have to give Clive big time props as I not only bought this watch from joshua and band from Banda based on his glowing comments; but I also am using Clive's picture to show it off since I have yet to get the damn band onto the watch. :)

616-7888.jpg

mine is missing in action

Say it isn't so. You ordered well before me which may mean that it is stuck in Canadian customs which is NOT a good thing :thumbdown:

Does joshua know?

I have to give Clive big time props as I not only bought this watch from joshua and band from Banda based on his glowing comments; but I also am using Clive's picture to show it off since I have yet to get the damn band onto the watch. :)

889-7823.jpg

Not my pic, not my watch, not a 147.

But nought out of three ain't bad :lol:

Try this:

889-7824.jpg

Or this:

889-7825.jpg

Changing the strap is a challenge. Not difficult... just a step up from pinging spring-bars across the room.

You will need:

A tray to catch the bits. Make sure that it has a non-bounce surface. Don't say I didn't warn you.

A loupe, or bench -mounted magnifier. Or better eyes than mine.

A screwdriver that really fits. I cheated. I put a scratch on the case. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Nice sharp tweezers. Those screws are small. Really small.

An active sence of humour.

The screws are glued in place. Good practice... you don't want them falling out. But this means that you have to twist quite hard. This is why you need a screwdriver that really fits.

Place the watch in the palm of one hand, use your loupe to check that your screwdriver is perfectly positioned... and twist. The ends of the screws are turned down and fit through tiny holes in the wire lugs, so in theory, it is not necessary to remove them completely.

Sods law, however, states that some will just drop out, some will resolutely refuse to back off sufficiently to clear the tiny holes in the lugs. Your nice sharp tweezers will come in handy at this point. Mine were blunt. They looked sharp, until I saw them through a loupe...

The wire lugs are in two parts. Once free of the screws, they come out of the original strap easily. Two right-angled bits of bent wire, on each side of the watch.

Stop! Do not fit your new strap, yet!

Fiddle around in the strap holes and you will find a short tube, constricted in the middle. This holds the bent coathanger things together. You need to shove it into your new strap before proceeding.

Needless to say, I discovered this tube after I had fitted the new strap... and had to start all over again.

I did say that you will need an active sense of humour...

Getting the little tiny screws lined up with the holes in the wire lugs is a job that requires some patience. Three of mine went in easily. The fourth did not... and is still not quite right.

I'll fix it tomorrow.

Or the day after, perhaps...

OK... I'm hamming it up a bit. Playing to the gallery. Changing the strap does require some concentration... and a measure of sobriety. But - it is worth it!

I love my Jos Nana 147 + banda strap!

Happy timekeeping!

Clive

Edited by Highflyingclive

I am reading this loop thinking that is a pretty watch...Then I start reading Clive's very entertaining description of changing the strap. Of course, his description is spot on. By the way I find it helpful to place a dark towel directly on the workspace (so you can see that bloody screw which you will inevitably lose and spend at least five minutes hyperventilating having read posts about never finding a replacement screw as above). :lol: Oh, and I keep the watch no more than a few inches above the towel while working.

But lo and behold, Clive mentions there is a tube in the middle of the strap which holds those little ends in place. Holy cow, I have been running around with my 183 having changed the strap innumerable times and that little piece in the middle still sits in the middle of the crappy strap that came with it. I have never owned a gen radiomir so I didn't know.

Here is my dilemma - I long since concluded that changing the strap was too scary a proposition and cannibalized an OEM Pre Vendome from another watch to permanently mount it on the 183. So of course I loctited the screws. Do I risk a change to stick that little tube in the strap? :lol:

Oh, didn't mean to steal the thread. The watch looks great. :thumbsupsmileyanim: