When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG Technical

1530 looks really clean! As does the dial! The dial is 80% of the value... So, having it in such great shape is a plus.

Of course, I would recommend a new T-16 or T-17; domed would be of preference, but a genuine later replacement is acceptable as well. Perhaps a new bezel, bezel insert, and 7206 rivet bracelet would be nice. I would not do much in terms of heavy polishing of the case... Maybe a light polish, but mostly suggest just cleaning it up of the dirt.

You may want to check the tube as well to make sure that it's still maintaining a seal. For sake of longevity, you may want to replace it along with the crown.

Above all, make sure you keep the original parts with the watch; don't throw them away, as having them with the watch will increase the value.

Knowing what you got this one for, I think it's a steal! That dial and those matching hands are :wub:

Wow! You really scored a diamond in the rough. :thumbsupsmileyanim: A little time cleaning that baby up and a few new parts and you'll have a true classic. The dial, hands and movement look to be in amazing condition in comparison to the rest of the watch. I've been wanting one of those forever but never found one at the right price. Best of luck with your restoration efforts.

my info isnt 100% thats for sure but wasnt the 5508 essentialy the 6536 but importantly (in this case) with integrated CGs rather than soldered on ones.

i had always been led to believe that the introduction of the 55 designation in 1957 began the standardisation to some degree of the model seeing numbers drop from the dial, solid CGs integral to the case introduced, silver bezel triangle and minute markers to 15 only etc.

given that a 1962 date would indicate that this was the very last of these, and in actual fact if accurate this would be an overlap model since the 5513 had appeared I/62 after the earlier 5512 from 1959 it seems really strange that it would have no CGs at all.

i know rolex arent the most reliable but it still odd IMHO.

just to add into the mix, there is a very rare 5510 military sub from around the late 50s that used the shoulderless case and 1520 cal so its not entirely beyond the realms of possibility that you have something even rarer in a 5508 without shoulders too. a sort of civilian 5510....or even more scary, a proto 5510 :)

i wonder if perhaps its an earlier model with a later movement and replaced caseback. its highly possible that rolex could have used this back incorrectly from new given the random distribution of 5512 and 5513 backs or it got introduced at a service at some point years later due to damage to the original. i assume you cant make out much between the lugs. my own subs are almost impossible and are less worn than yours.

should be great when its cleaned up (but not too much) and working

Edited by thewightstuff

Great comments, I have to try and find a correct bracelet to match it, otherwise, I'll go light on the rest, for now, as long as I can get it together, working, I'll live with the bad bezel and insert.

Did this model have all polished case surfaces, or were the sides polished, and the top and bottom of the case brushed? I want to fix it up a bit, but want to keep in the original look of the watch.

Should be a fun project.

RG

WOW! that is awesome! well stolen! haha

just one question, isn't that a relative modern movement for that old vintage watch? I have seen these bond subs with another rolex in it....correct me if i'm wrong...

=)

Like Ubi mentioned, the 1530 is correct for this watch. I think that this vintage probably was originally equipped with one of the "butterfly" style rotors. May have been replaced with more modern one at a service, or perhaps the whole movement is a later vintage. Either way that watch is still awesome!

it should be a great project thats for sure. id personally steer clear of doing too much tidying up on it. its oozing character at the moment and putting on too many new parts save a crystal.

further to my post above.

this looks really like a turnograph in actual fact, im wondering if it is and someones stuck the submariner and depth on later. the depth should be the same length as the submariner and the colours look off too in the pics. theres also a question regarding why it would be 110m-330ft for a production date of II/62. this had long since been passed with the 220m being the standard for some time.

looks like there could be alot of fun finding its history aswell as fixing it up. The Zigmeisterzumba, mechanic by day, detective by night lol :)

pic added from the web.

171591-9418.jpg

Edited by thewightstuff

5513 was introduced 1962, 5512 had come in some years earlier in 1958 as posted above. this being 1962 it would be a very late transition with the 5513, the model that directly replaced it. the 5512 being SCOC had run in parallel

apologies if it seemed like i was stating that it was definately a wrong watch. it wasnt my intention and id actually gotten quite excited :) rolex were never that thorough and we all know their love of using parts they come across in the stores.

these things usually only come up on timezone and the rather dull discourse over there puts me to sleep sometimes.

ive only seen a couple 5508 anywhere and they were late models,had CGs and 200m dials. the mil 5510 had no CGs so its not beyond the realms of possibility by any stretch thats for sure. especially if you say youve seen ones the opposite. its seems like the 5508 is one of those refs where it very much has almost an anything goes policy for much of its life if not all.

its a great watch and an even greater find though thats for sure. was it working at all when The Zigmeister got it do you know?

Edited by thewightstuff

Hmmm... For some reason, I have scribbled down in my notes that the 5513 came around in '64; most likely my data is off, but is what I was basing my prior post off of :)

Always a possibility that dial variations differ based on who the manufacturer was; a dial from Stern would be different than one that came from Beyeler.

I don't believe that the watch was running when Ziggy took delivery of it today (he would be better to speak on that), though I do know that he got it for a very attractive price! With his talents, a sympathetic restoration of this example should be easy work; finding the right parts may be the most difficult part...

i only know for sure as ive a first issue 5513 thats I/62 and tallies with the official history. had it been a month ago, id have had no idea at all. a new purchase focuses the mind somewhat onto info when your as anal as me :)

id say dial variations are more likely a certainty knowing rolex lol. my info on the 5508 is based entirely on a few pages and a couple ive seen. its hardly more than fleeting to say the least. its a wonder id even heard of a 5508 so that was a bonus in itself.

luckily for The Zigmeister, the 1530 is simple to get parts for (says i touching wood). theres tons about and pretty much freely available. cosmetic bits will be a huge problem though id imagine.

luckily a new tropic will make a massive difference and a bit of a clean will be all it really needs to shine i think.

i just got a stock list update emailed to me yesterday for 1530 cal parts. maybe i'll pass it onto him incase its of any use

Yeah... I suspect it's going to be the exterior parts that are going to be difficult to find (and end up costing the bank). Genuine domed T-16's and T-17's don't come cheap... But I have a couple of ideas on where to find some :) A genuine bezel will be a troublesome part to source; aftermarket is out there, but unfortunately, gravely apparent that it's the incorrect piece for the watch...

:)

the bezel was the part that was sticking out for me as being immensely problematic. a gen one will probably cost as much as the watch did itself as i assume it should look visually the same as the 65xx type sub rather than the 55xx going by the rest of the watch.

beyond gen i agree that theres no options that would be better than the current one.

i for one am not convinced it needs the bezel replaced. it would be nice to see a good clean example of a watch thats been used for what it was intended. id think that it would give it good value, especially when weighed against he headache of addressing it.

hopefully a crystal change will allow the dial to shine through better and make everything look somewhat better

That original bezel does look quite worn down... But, perhaps I'll save judgement until after it's cleaned up. It looks rough (to me) 'cause it's dirty, but your post made me take a second and third look at it, and it could have potential. It would certainly match the age and wear of the watch better. And it would be one less thing to buy.

Man... I can't wait to see this one shined up a bit...

thx.

atleast that opens up an opportunity to replace just this if the wear looks too much when cleaned up. i was looking at a 50 fathoms today that was as worn as this. the wear and its military issue was the attraction to me. i could only imagine the things it had seen and done.

safe queens can leave you speechless but also be hugely dull too :)

Interesting comments...

I bought this from the original owner, who bought the watch brand new in 1962...he had it serviced at the same place over the years, which was at that time an "Authorized Rolex Dealer"... From speaking to him, what you see in the pics, is what he bought in 1962. The bracelet was replaced at some point.

The reason that the bracelet was replaced, is that this particular watch was used for diving, as this fellow is a scuba diver. Now note that for 25 years +, this watch was used in the salt waters of the north atlantic...and that is probably the reason for the damage to the bezel etc... however I think I will be able to clean it up and it will look good again...

He changed the bracelet due to the fact the new bracelet has the fliplock part, and there is no risk of it opening up as your diving, the older bracelet did not have this option...

As for the movement, from what he knows, it's original and the one that came with the watch...

More pics,

171794-9378.jpg

VERY dirty as you can see...

171794-9379.jpg

Watch cleaning solution (no, it's not a urin sample, but looks like one...)

BEFORE THE CLEANING...

171794-9380.jpg

AFTER THE BATH in the ultrasonic machine, 30 minutes, with the heater on full...

171794-9381.jpg

All dried off, and waiting for reassembly. I found a chunk of WOOD in the movement during disassembly (how that got there is beyond me) chunk in watch terms, small piece in non watch terms...

171794-9382.jpg

Will update if it runs following assembly, I see no reason that it won't work...

RG