When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

yuki pan am

dpap

Better ways to start a 6542 project than this one. I'm sure it's not cheap either. Problem is today, there aren't any good 6542 dials around at a reasonable price since ingod disappeared. If you want to build a 6542, search on this forum, there are a lot of good threads about 6542 builds and what is needed.

Dlf's PanAm build is probably the best 6542 PA build I've seen so far that uses predominantly rep parts.  Takes a lot of organization, patience, and luck to pull off something like this properly; and for the cost, he did a fantastic job.    Might be better just to buy it from him if its for sale.  No harm asking.

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/172843-pan-am-6542/?hl=6542

I agree, there are a few builds that are really nice and DLF's is certainly one of them.  I like Yuki, always get good service and parts.  But not for this build.  Phong or MQ case for this one.  This is supposed to be my next project.  I have already sourced a few parts, but the white dial remains the obstacle preventing any further progress.  All my sport watches have black dials....be nice to have a white one.     

Biggest problem today is the dial. Cases can be gotten, I personally think the Ming Quy case is the best, but Phongs are good as well. Lots of 6542's have been made with other cases that are slimmed and modded. When Ingod was in business he had a nice dial for a 6542 build, but he's gone, so that source has dried up. The dial that comes in the yuki kit is a snap on dial that is designed for the Rolex movement. Not sure if it can be modified to fit an ETA 2846.

I built mine about 3 years ago, and it was a long tough haul. Most of my problems were movement related, probably due to a well worn old 2846 movement. I finally finished the last part of the puzzle when jmb engraved the caseback with the Pan AM "Meatball" and issue number. I was fortunate enough to get a Ming Quy case from a fellow who is no longer here an Ingod dial and a lot of help from quite a few members here. Especially JoeyB who assembled it and gave me a lot of advice along the way. Since the white dials are not readily available anymore,  I doubt that I would undertake this build today.

post-327-0-76046800-1433962243_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-38433300-1433962257_thumb.jpg

That is poor (as has been said) tbh yuki's stuff is very very patchy at best especially their cases. Do they not look at ANY of the originals before they spend a lot of money on machining? The bezel is completely wrong, insert and bezel, the case back should be bubbleback and that case back engraving... what were they thinking? Although saying that the dial is probably acceptable considering no one else seems to sell one at the moment.

If you need to know what a real bezel should look like, look no further than this beauty that has just gone on sale for 39k

http://www.hqmilton.com/watches/1958-rolex-gmt-6542-glossy-gilt-chapter-ring-with-bakelite-bezel

That is poor (as has been said) tbh yuki's stuff is very very patchy at best especially their cases. Do they not look at ANY of the originals before they spend a lot of money on machining? The bezel is completely wrong, insert and bezel, the case back should be bubbleback and that case back engraving... what were they thinking? Although saying that the dial is probably acceptable considering no one else seems to sell one at the moment.

If you need to know what a real bezel should look like, look no further than this beauty that has just gone on sale for 39k

http://www.hqmilton.com/watches/1958-rolex-gmt-6542-glossy-gilt-chapter-ring-with-bakelite-bezel

That is a nice example of a well kept 6542. AFA the case backs, I expect that they use what is available, so what you end up with is a flat back which is more available than the bubble backs which are correct.

Question is how do you adapt the yuki dial which is made for a gen Rolex movement? Since it's what I call a press fit dial rather than a dial with dial feet, it would have to be able to fit the movement. When I was building mine, there was a gen 1030 GMT movement for sale on VRF, they were only asking 3k !! Way out of my price range, but the correct movement for the 6542. I used an Ingod white 1675 dial which to my old eyes was identical to the Ingod 6542 dial which was the same configuration as the yuki dial. That's a moot point now as his dials are no longer available unless you can find one from another member.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shame it sucks pretty bad especially for the cash .

Such a shame Ingod is no more, really were such top dials for the money.

Yuki could be capable of producing better dials I'm sure, but just don't listen to suggestion much, or just don't give a [censored].

That is a nice example of a well kept 6542. AFA the case backs, I expect that they use what is available, so what you end up with is a flat back which is more available than the bubble backs which are correct.

Question is how do you adapt the yuki dial which is made for a gen Rolex movement? Since it's what I call a press fit dial rather than a dial with dial feet, it would have to be able to fit the movement. When I was building mine, there was a gen 1030 GMT movement for sale on VRF, they were only asking 3k !! Way out of my price range, but the correct movement for the 6542. I used an Ingod white 1675 dial which to my old eyes was identical to the Ingod 6542 dial which was the same configuration as the yuki dial. That's a moot point now as his dials are no longer available unless you can find one from another member.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used an ingod dial for a budget 6542, also a "press fit" and it was easy enough to epoxy on some dial feet... a bit of a pain as far as lining up is concerned but not too bad.