When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TD is this normal?

cavi

Okay, as some know I am a bit new at this game, I have ordered from perfectwatches (bad on me for not knowing, lesson learned), I have also bought a watch from another member through the forum listings!!   Last, I ordered a watch through one of the TD.  At first it all seemed to go fine, I ordered a rep omega ploprof with orange band, and since I was new to the game I just ordered the least expensive one to see what the buying experience was like.  The watch was 148 plus shipping and other things.  Very doable.  Yesterday the dealer contacted me and told me that that watch was unavailable, and that I needed to change watches, so I suggested three other watches, the same one with a black band, the ultimate edition of the same watch and if all failed a higher end omega seamaster 45mm.    I got the email last night that the only one available was the seamaster 45.  a add on of 240 dollars.  I am fine with this as I had planned on ordering this watch next month.  However all of the ploprofs are still listed on his web page as available.  So is this normal, or did I get a case of bait and switch?

I am not complaining, just trying to understand for future transactions.  I honestly want the orange omega that I originally ordered next month....

Hi mate, As much as I have hated having this said to me it's true, Welcome to the Rep Game.

The websites are not maintained and once a watch gets put up it rarely will get taken down. It's often annoying and can sometimes pay to email the dealer before you place an order. From memory the Ploprof has been out of production for a while so I don't think there's any deliberate move from the dealer.

Good luck with the seamaster :)

thanks, that makes me feel better as I plan on buying more watches, then a few more then a few more!!!

Haha, the bug has bitten you already. Don't worry, you'll then get into building the things and it's just down hill (or up hill) from there. Stick around, it's a great bunch of people who have a crazy amount of knowledge of watches :)

I have had the bug for watches for years now I just never discovered the rep market.  I currently have over 15 watches in my collection, and this is after donating some to my kids, who have taken an interest!  I will admit that 3/4 of my watches are currently quartz, but some are still interesting watches.  I also have a couple vintage watches like a 1950s bumper omega seamaster Gen

My suggestion is to stick with smaller dealers (like Torobravo or Supermirrors) until you will feel confifent and ask for a watch availability BEFORE to send the money :)

Though the larger dealers can provide benefits such as PayPal / credit card payment as opposed to wire transfer.

Though the larger dealers can provide benefits such as PayPal / credit card payment as opposed to wire transfer.

Check for WU fees where you live: in Italy with WU online (bank transfer to cash) I pay 4.9€ only and I have in reverse 10% discount on everything (special offers and shipment too) from Toro ;)

I will add to my story, as I said, the first rep I bought was from perfect watches, bad on me, but it was an easy transaction and the watch shipped in two days.  Then I bought my second watch from one of the TD, and had the issue of the ploprof not being in stock, so I offered to take another seamaster, a 45mm ceramic dial ultimate with black rubber band, they said ok, and sent me a invoice for the additional money which I paid instantly, they thanked me, then 24 hours latter I get another e-mail stating that the one they agreed to was now out of stock also and all that was available was one with SS band.  I honestly wanted a rebber band as I plan on using this watch for work, I am a dentist so the band has to be washable, and the ss band is heavy which does tire my wrist by the end of the day.  Either way I agreed and we will see if I finally get a watch, and we will see if they offer to return the difference in price as the ss one was less money.  

I also ordered a watch from Perfect clones yesterday, I liked that they took paypal, again transaction was smooth and they have actually already shipped my watch.  I will deffinitly do buisness with them again, the other TD, I am not sure..., I was fine with the first watch being out of stock, but to offer me another and make me pay the difference only to then back out and say that one was also out of stock is not right.

IMO, it's very important to inquire about availability before placing ANY orders, regardless of TD.   Remember, it's not the same as dealing with Amazon!   ;-)

I will add to my story, as I said, the first rep I bought was from perfect watches, bad on me, but it was an easy transaction and the watch shipped in two days.  Then I bought my second watch from one of the TD, and had the issue of the ploprof not being in stock, so I offered to take another seamaster, a 45mm ceramic dial ultimate with black rubber band, they said ok, and sent me a invoice for the additional money which I paid instantly, they thanked me, then 24 hours latter I get another e-mail stating that the one they agreed to was now out of stock also and all that was available was one with SS band.  I honestly wanted a rebber band as I plan on using this watch for work, I am a dentist so the band has to be washable, and the ss band is heavy which does tire my wrist by the end of the day.  Either way I agreed and we will see if I finally get a watch, and we will see if they offer to return the difference in price as the ss one was less money.  

I also ordered a watch from Perfect clones yesterday, I liked that they took paypal, again transaction was smooth and they have actually already shipped my watch.  I will deffinitly do buisness with them again, the other TD, I am not sure..., I was fine with the first watch being out of stock, but to offer me another and make me pay the difference only to then back out and say that one was also out of stock is not right.

as I said, after the first watch was not available I did inquire about the seamaster and was told it was available, and all I needed to do was pay the difference, which I did as soon as I got the e-mail and then e-mailed them back and was told it was all peachy until today, 24 hours latter was when I was again informed that my new selection was a goner also.

It may happen that ith a TD it simply just doesn´t work out. Can´t You just ak for Your money back and that´s it?

As Gentle said try Toro and Supermirrors, I´d agree on that and regularly use them both.

As for Omegas the Seamaster 300 Coaxial is available and it´s a fantastic watch, very happy with the looks&feel, it´s very well done:)

OM_1710c_zpsmmcb5rby.jpg

OMGCoax_4239_zpse9jkmjje.jpg

OMcoax_4302_zpscy4yybvf.jpg

Lume is not fantastic, looks good but it´s weak and wears off fast, only flaw on this one, the pic was just after luming it up

OMG%20coax_4234_zpskcqufje6.jpg

what is the leather band and where did you get it?

It´s a Bulang&Sons type handmade, goat&calf leather Martu strap from South-America, ships the week it´s ordered and my fav. 20mm strap: http://www.martuleather.com/store/p47/Slim_hand_vintage_brown_Leather_Watch_Strap.html