When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swap GMT Master 1675 for Sub 114060

AyJayKay

I have a GMT Master 1675. It was serviced by the Rolex agents and the usual service dial, hands, glass and bezel insert was fitted. A new Oyster bracelet was also fitted as the watch did not have one when I bought it.

Fortunately, I managed to retain the original dial, insert, hands and glass. The GMT hand is the small one. Unfortunately I do not have any original papers or packaging for the watch other than the paperwork I got from the service agents.

What I am considering is exchanging the GMT Master for a new or nearly new Submariner Ceramic Date-Less 114060. Is this viable? What could I get for my GMT Master and what is the mint 114060 likely to cost?

What could I realistically expect to pay in?

Before. The original dial, glass, hands and bezel insert shown are included.

post-63624-0-46754300-1436623764_thumb.j

After. The picture is a bit underexposed. The insert is the usual pepsi red and blue.

post-63624-0-12848600-1436623780_thumb.j

Edited by AyJayKay
  • Like 1

Wasn't this the watch you pictured and started a thread about over a year ago? You said it belonged to a friend back then.

First off Rolex didn't do you any favors by changing the small hand, replacing the insert and Crystal. Surprised that you got your old parts back, but that is definitely a plus. We're this my watch, I would have sent it to one of the independent Rolex watchsmiths, had them overhaul the movement, Polish the Crystal and possibly stabilize the Lume on the hands if it was loose. None of that would have decreased the value of the watch, but replacing all those valuable parts with a service insert, Crystal and service hands definitely decreases the value.

I have no idea why someone would want to trade and iconic watch for a "dime a dozen" contemporary sub, but to each his own. Best advice go over to the Rolex forum and the Rolex forum on WUS (WatchUSeek) and post some photos and ask if it would be a fair trade straight up for the sub you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looks like the service dial and hands are superluminova, probably all Rolex has now. I would have sent this one to Bob Ridley and let him work his magic. Still not too late if he has all the parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a GMT Master 1675. It was serviced by the Rolex agents and the usual service dial, hands, glass and bezel insert was fitted. A new Oyster bracelet was also fitted as the watch did not have one when I bought it.

Fortunately, I managed to retain the original dial, insert, hands and glass. The GMT hand is the small one. Unfortunately I do not have any original papers or packaging for the watch other than the paperwork I got from the service agents.

What I am considering is exchanging the GMT Master for a new or nearly new Submariner Ceramic Date-Less 114060. Is this viable? What could I get for my GMT Master and what is the mint 114060 likely to cost?

What could I realistically expect to pay in?

Before. The original dial, glass, hands and bezel insert shown are included.

attachicon.gifRolex GMT Before.jpg

After. The picture is a bit underexposed. The insert is the usual pepsi red and blue.

attachicon.gifRolex GMT After.jpg

Please change it back and wear a masterpiece.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input. I am going to just wear the watch for now but will refit the vintage dial, hands and bezel insert later on if ever I sell the watch. Right now I have to decide what to do about a bracelet. When I bough the watch from my friend, it did not have a bracelet so I used one from a Submariner I have. But now I have to get one for the GMT.

I can get a new 78360 GMT bracelet from Rolex for $1000 or a nicely refurbished folded link Submariner 9315 bracelet with 380 end links from a friend for $250. (Don't comment on the prices too much. Our poor exchange rate against the $ means that everything we import costs a lot more here. We also have to pay another 25% in import duties and VAT. Plus still add shipping costs and insurance.)

The GMT did not come with the 9315, but I understand that it was used on the GMT in the 70's. The 78360, being solid link, is a bit more comfortable for me and is correct for the GMT. Which do you suggest I get? Will I recoup the extra cost of the 78360 when (or if) I ever sell the watch?

That's up to you. I know the 78360 will be more comfortable but not period correct. Are you looking for comfort and functionality or do you want an "all original" type? As for me, the modern bracelets do feel a bit nicer - I have a 78360 with a 93150 clasp on my gen 16570 that wears like a dream...