When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What It Boiled Down To...

Richard Tracy

Hello Gang..

Thought I would post a version of this outside of the voting booth to

make sure all see it,.. as the outcome will benefit everyone here..

According to the posts and tallies,.. the only watches which have survived the

process are;

1. Iwc Aquatimer =>

172875-9141.jpg

172875-9142.jpg

Vote here: for Iwc Aqua http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=16703

2. Iwc Aquatimer Chronograph =>

172875-9143.jpg

172875-9144.jpg

Vote here: for Iwc Chrono http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=17406

3. Paul Picot Technograph =>

172875-9145.jpg

172875-9146.jpg

Vote here: for Paul Picot http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=16913

4. Tag aquaracer Chrono =>

172875-9147.jpg

172875-9148.jpg

Vote here: for Tag Aqua http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=16961

5. Porsche Flat Six =>

172875-9149.jpg

172875-9150.jpg

Vote here: for Porsche http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=17032

Three submissions.. possibly four.. will be sent to Jay.

Please help make our first suggestions, be watches that will propel us into

more control over what we want repped...

All you need to do, is post your honest opinion on their feasability, potential popularity,

and or do-ability, and, please,. if you have yet to vote, take the time to do so...we need

and value all opinions...

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showforum=129

If you missed them..

Guidelines are as follows;

Since Jay is going to purchase a Genuine to model, cost of the Gen. should not exceed $6,000 max

and $3000 minimum, for the most part,.. however popularity can trump this number.

1. This First Contest is for an All Occasion Watch.

For sports, dinner and to the office.

Size range of 38 to 44mm max.

{note: if you, submit a 44mm watch, case thickness and curvature must conform to be

about wear it with sleeves..}

2. Movements are eta-2836/2824/2892/6497/7750

Which means no strange complications, as alarms ect...

If you need help, please inquire in a post to the experts.

3. It must be a watch which has never been replicated before.

No improvements on current watches will be considered, this time around.

This is our big chance.. let's make the most of it...

Why is the Ebel not in the list?

Go through the thread,..

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=16718

If you don't agree,.. and can prove otherwise,.. I will be

more than happy to replace it,.. however keep in mind

that Jay is not looking to mod movements, and does not

wish for sunken date wheel situations.

Here are my comments Richard:

Since the whole thing is your baby (your initiative) and you will do all the coordination effort afterwards .... I believe that you have all the rights to consider which comments/points I am making below you think apropriate: ;)

Regarding the EBEL:

Not because was my submission (honestly has nothing to do with it) , I am really disappointed. -_-

I understand and appreciate the movement limitations but why we cannot check the price of a 7753 ??? Will be that high if we meet the numbers ???

I think EBEL is a unique watch to replicate it has shown a lot of popularity and we are missing a great opportunity by excluding it.

Any chances to double check with Jay on this ???

IWC Aquatimer (Std version and chrono):

Can we merge these two polls in to one, so to consider it as one watch ???

Both the chrono and non chrono versions are sharing identical case , back , inner rotating bezel and bracellet/band. Ok the dial and movement are diferrent but all the rest are all the same.

Cannot Jay consider one as the evoluituion of the other ??

That way we give the posibility to another watch to be replicated which now has been left outside.

BTW and for info purposes only: what we see in these two IWC polls are 4 different models:

- IWC Aqua Auto (white inner)

- IWC Aqua Auto 2000 (yellow inner)

- IWC Aqua Chrono Auto (white inner)

- IWC Aqua Split Min Chrono (yellow inner)

...... both models of each pair are practically identical (... hmmm, can't tell if they also share the same back case with each other)

Tag aquaracer Chrono

Nothing against it (I personally like it) but if we want to be purists and stick to the rules, this one does not fulfill two of them:

- can be found at 1,800 to 2,000 USD price range (rule of the min 3,000 USD)

- It has already been replicated (bad replicas 21J and quartz ...but do exist) .... see link below:

http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=322

Jay's Top price range for the genuine:

I thought it had raised to 15,000 USD to include more expensive models. Not true ???

Thanks for listening

AMK000

Regarding the EBEL:

Not because was my submission (honestly has nothing to do with it) , I am really disappointed. -_-

I understand and appreciate the movement limitations but why we cannot check the price of a 7753 ??? Will be that high if we meet the numbers ???

I think EBEL is a unique watch to replicate it has shown a lot of popularity and we are missing a great opportunity by excluding it.

IWC Aquatimer (Std version and chrono):

Can we merge these two polls in to one, so to consider it as one watch ???

Both the chrono and non chrono versions are sharing identical case , back , inner rotating bezel and bracellet/band. Ok the dial and movement are diferrent but all the rest are all the same.

Cannot Jay consider one as the evoluituion of the other ??

That way we give the posibility to another watch to be replicated which now has been left outside.

BTW and for info purposes only: what we see in these two IWC polls are 4 different models:

- IWC Aqua Auto (white inner)

- IWC Aqua Auto 2000 (yellow inner)

- IWC Aqua Chrono Auto (white inner)

- IWC Aqua Split Min Chrono (yellow inner)

...... both models of each pair are practically identical (... hmmm, can't tell if they also share the same back case with each other)

Tag aquaracer Chrono

Nothing against it (I personally like it) but if we want to be purists and stick to the rules, this one does not fulfill two of them:

- can be found at 1,800 to 2,000 USD price range (rule of the min 3,000 USD)

- It has already been replicated (bad replicas 21J and quartz ...but do exist) .... see link below:

http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=322

Jay's Top price range for the genuine:

I thought it had raised to 15,000 USD to include more expensive models. Not true ???

Hello,..

I apologize to you, and everyone affected, ..for not notifying you first,..

but I can only handle so much of the work,..and believe it fair that everyone

work their own submissions into the guidelines.... also I did post my concerns

in many polls way ahead of time. :whistling:

Not to mention that the deadline is about here,.. which forced me to make cuts

to all incomlete submissions that were holding key spots in the poll, as I had to

give the other hopefuls which did fit the mold, time to make their last push.

Regarding your submissions,..

It was my belief that the Ebel has an in-house movement, so the 7753, if we can subsitute

would also have to be modded,... If, however I am wrong, and it will do,.. then,

of course, I will push for the addition of a 7753,... though I can't promise the outcome...

and also dread that it may open a whole can of worms,...with other members wishing

they had the chance to offer 7753 run watches as well..

But you, will have to do the homework to find out the definite answer..and you only have

a few days,.

As far as the Iwc's yes I am attempting to have them counted as 'One' or at least 1.5...

as I also believe that they can interchange parts.

I will try,.. but again, I can only hope for the best.

As for the Tag,... yes the price is lower, but we do have examples of Tag replicas that

are very popular, so I may be able to get Jay to allow them,...

Besides,.. I was under the impression that Doc found models that sell for about 3k...

Lastly, Jay's top price for this first project is $6,000.

For the Next Project it's $10,000,...

Good luck,.. and remember this is only our first,... if you don't make it this time, you

will be ahead of the curve in the next project... just remember,.. it's a sports watch,..

..$10,000 max...

Hello,..

I apologize to you, and everyone affected, ..for not notifying you first,..

but I can only handle so much of the work,..and believe it fair that everyone

work their own submissions into the guidelines.... also I did post my concerns

in many polls way ahead of time. :whistling:

Not to mention that the deadline is about here,.. which forced me to make cuts

to all incomlete submissions that were holding key spots in the poll, as I had to

give the other hopefuls which did fit the mold, time to make their last push.

Regarding your submissions,..

It was my belief that the Ebel has an in-house movement, so the 7753, if we can subsitute

would also have to be modded,... If, however I am wrong, and it will do,.. then,

of course, I will push for the addition of a 7753,... though I can't promise the outcome...

and also dread that it may open a whole can of worms,...with other members wishing

they had the chance to offer 7753 run watches as well..

But you, will have to do the homework to find out the definite answer..and you only have

a few days,.

As far as the Iwc's yes I am attempting to have them counted as 'One' or at least 1.5...

as I also believe that they can interchange parts.

I will try,.. but again, I can only hope for the best.

As for the Tag,... yes the price is lower, but we do have examples of Tag replicas that

are very popular, so I may be able to get Jay to allow them,...

Besides,.. I was under the impression that Doc found models that sell for about 3k...

Lastly, Jay's top price for this first project is $6,000.

For the Next Project it's $10,000,...

Good luck,.. and remember this is only our first,... if you don't make it this time, you

will be ahead of the curve in the next project... just remember,.. it's a sports watch,..

..$10,000 max...

:)

OK .... to me at least sounds fair.

It's not the price, it's the sub-dials. Does a 7753 the same subdial placement as the Ebel 137? What about depth? If a watch has to be made deeper, it's not a 1:1. Nobody has done the homework on this one, and that's all it would take.

As for the IWC, the case for a chrono and a non-chrono is mostly the same, but a chrono is deeper and has pushers. The only common component the aqua and aqua chrono share is the strap. Yes, they look similar and offer us lots of subtle variants, but I see this as an advantage.

Trust me, I wanted to see the Ebel as well. I voted for it and I'd wear one.

Zero interest in any of these watches. The IWCs are fine, but I prefer the Ingenieur. Tag---Give me a break. I'll run to my nearest department store and pick one after the holidays. Paul Picot? The Porsche Flat Six is interesting, but have you checked out who makes this watch? Porsche. Last time I checked they make cars. They bought Eterna. The bracelet on this watch is BORING. We would be much better off with an Eterna Kontiki Chrono or GMT.

Great idea for a group buy, but pretty lousy choices.

Is that Porsche Flat Six a rep or gen? Couldn't find it on TT or Josh PC. Thanks fellas
Is that a serious question ?

Hi Estaban

I guess you are one of the Sea Hawk disapointees,..?. Not to worry,

it will fit in the next project perfectly..

However for this one,.. if you have some other suggestions that you

feel would better serve the cause please let us know...

As far as the Porsche design..

http://www.thewatchquote.com/Porsche-Desig...tor-No_3120.htm

I think it's long overdue,.. Ferrari, Mercedes, Bmw, and now Porsche..

It's built by Eterna,.. one of the most well respected Swiss watch companies.

http://www.eterna.ch/

i applaud the project, i think richard you did a great job - i hope that it is a smashing success

if this were 3 months ago - this would have been a no brainer - the chronomat. That, in my opinion was the most popular 5k watch not being repped.

however, none of the watches in the finals strike my interest, the porche is the most interesting, but i just have to many on my wish list that out rank this watch.

for pugs - :) i did suggest some of my own, i think that chopard with the offset seconds was rockin :) anyway, i look forward to the next round, the 10k opens up some new catagories, maybe, i can get excited about.

so, i just hope that all the folks that fought for these models line up to buy them :) because, i want this kind of project to continue ;)

Thanks for putting this all together RT.

I will echo the sentiments regarding the Ebel. It's truly a shame this can't come to fruition. This watch has the "it" factor!

The Aquaracer is a good choice from the standpoint of being easy to accurately replicate. But there's just nothing special about it from a personal interest perspective. More of the same from IWC, IMO. That said, I'll contribute to the project anyhow and add yet another high quality rep to my collection!

Where are your suggestion Polls then?

I don't do polls. I did contribute ideas when people made their proposals. I indicated that there are way too many IWC watches available and the ones submitted don't compare favorably to the Ingenieur in my opinion.

The Ebels were ok, but Tags??? Give me a break.

I said GP SH all the way. Clean case, simple and very reliable movement, and different from anything else out there.

everything is reppable but at wich price :bleh:

Ah, you must have missed the rules. :D

The Seahawk was not reppable according to the rules set by the person that was paying for the replica to be made. Therefore, for the purposes of this discussion, it's not reppable.

MJP,... what is it again that you are asking ?? :whistling:

I would like to comment on the sentiments about the choices,..besides the Iwc's, which I think

are dynamite in the making...though they will have come out eventually, we have a chance

of getting there first, which is a milestone in itself, and which can lead to us leaping further

up the time circle next time... ^_^

The rest however, I have no strong feelings about, one way, or the other,..feeling that they

are there partly because not enough people took the time to give us a hand...

but hey, if you don't have a subsitute, then I say your complaint is a waste of time,

better turned into energy for our next project...

I want to thank everyone that helped us out,... with their ideas, submissions,..opinions

especially, Admin for the clean and comfortable room, Ken for his support, & his time,

Section-8 for working the polls...Pugwash for helping to screen the movements, and

for submitting the best of what was available for Jay's guidelines,..

and for the enthusiasm of Amk...

Have a wonderful Christmas, and may the next year bring us all the toys we at rwg want... :D

Im just curious if anyone has suggested repping a Panerai pam98 GMT alarm? which to me would be a great never repped pam..........I know alot of people want to see diffrent brands of watches but in my opinion pam reps have always been the most refined reps and that pam98 sure is a looker. If its too late to submit then its just part of my wish list...............Cheers, Wan

Im just curious if anyone has suggested repping a Panerai pam98 GMT alarm?

If they had, they would have been berated for not using one of the movements on the list. :D

This was, to me, the one disappointment to me of the poll. The amount of people who entered watches they wanted to see repped that had nothing to do with the competition rules. Added movement complications, 2894s instead of 7753s, $15000 pricetags, oversized ... It's as if the opportunity weren't as important as just showing off your favourite obscure gen.

With a little homework, I feel the IWCs I proposed could have been given a proper run for their money.