When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sunk Datewheel Due To Transfer Gears?

slay

Could it be possible that the datewheel sits so low on the PAM250 for example because there are transfer gears that move the 30minute counter from 12 to 3?

I looked at some swiss7753 reps that dont seem to have a sunki datewheel.

And the sunk datewheel is really obvious, I looked at a GEN PAM250 yesterday and I had my rep 250 on and the difference was was huge!

:g: there are some difference in the same rep...how about mine...

post-4058-1166977054_thumb.jpg

post-4058-1166977081_thumb.jpg

Could it be possible that the datewheel sits so low on the PAM250 for example because there are transfer gears that move the 30minute counter from 12 to 3?

If you're asking if all Asian 7753 copies have sunken datewheels, then the answer is yes. And yes, the reason is the transfer gears that sit above the datewheel to move the 12 to 3.

Genuine 7753s are built differently, obviously, and don't have sunken datewheels.

Here is the problem. On a genuine 7753 the modification is done to the movement itself, things are changed, but an additional plate is not added. The modified asian 7750 is a clone of the 7750, but a transfer plate has been added to the dial side of the movement to shift the subdials. Since the datewheel is part of the original movement it sits under this transfer plate, hence the datewheel sitting low. You are looking at the datewheel through an opening in the transfer plate, so you can't just make the datewheel thicker. There are two ways to fix the problem. 1. The movement itself could be made the same way the 7753 is made, but only the manufactuer would be capable of making this modification. 2. I'm not sure about this, but it might be possible to use some sort of transfer mechanism to move the datewheel to the transfer plate. This would require more enginnering and equipment than I think anyone would be willing to do. Plus it would be far cheaper just to buy a genuine 7753 than to go through all this trouble. Our best hope is that Million Smart will decide to clone the 7753 themselves.

Edited by olga

from what I can tell its only missing about maximum 1mm. That should be doable. I would try it myself, bud I'd have to find the datewheel printed on a piece of round tape first!

Hang on, if you're taking about just making a thicker datewheel, then no chance. You need to make a datewheel above the transfer gears and make a new mechanism to raise it.

The transfer gears are installed ON TOP OF the datewheel.

Here is the problem. On a genuine 7753 the modification is done to the movement itself, things are changed, but an additional plate is not added. The modified asian 7750 is a clone of the 7750, but a transfer plate has been added to the dial side of the movement to shift the subdials. Since the datewheel is part of the original movement it sits under this transfer plate, hence the datewheel sitting low. You are looking at the datewheel through an opening in the transfer plate, so you can't just make the datewheel thicker. There are two ways to fix the problem. 1. The movement itself could be made the same way the 7753 is made, but only the manufactuer would be capable of making this modification. 2. I'm not sure about this, but it might be possible to use some sort of transfer mechanism to move the datewheel to the transfer plate. This would require more enginnering and equipment than I think anyone would be willing to do. Plus it would be far cheaper just to buy a genuine 7753 than to go through all this trouble. Our best hope is that Million Smart will decide to clone the 7753 themselves.

Hmm... I remember hearing that its not possible to simply swap an asian 7750 with a Swiss 7753? Is that true? And whats the reason for this? Isnt the datewheel in a different position on a 7753?

Also genuine 7753s are very expensive.

I cant think of any reason why ETA discontinues them

Hang on, if you're taking about just making a thicker datewheel, then no chance. You need to make a datewheel above the transfer gears and make a new mechanism to raise it.

The transfer gears are installed ON TOP OF the datewheel.

Damn...!!! They probably wont EVER fix this flaw.

I'm surprised at you slay - this has been discussed and answered so many times!! This is why nothing can be done about the sunken date:

And this is how ETA do it - see the difference:

So unless the asians completely make a new top plate ain't nuttin gonna change!!

Thanks for the pics. I do have a life, so I miss some threads every once in a while and because of that I dont know everything ;)

@finepics - AWESOME DW on the asian hacked 7750! where is that from? can i get white on black?

i have asked many times for a proper asain 7753.. think of the latest Hublot Big Bang with a proper DW depth.. this flaw alone prevents me from getting this awesome watch.. compared to gen it JUST looks silly.. with a proper asain 7753 even requests for a 187 swiss would be unfounded think about it all the 3,6,9 dial rep watches would have proper date possition and not appear sunken wi=hich really does look silly when compared to gen.. as for the RT watch request with jay/silix any rep with 7753 movement would look silly too so i said not to all the gens with 7753 mvmnts.

next movement to be repped will be the 2892/3 and chono modules not a proper 7753.

ps: will a genuine 7753 fit in my HBB or navi will lilttle or no mods? is not the date adjust funtion on 7753 a pusher as opposed to crown?? how is gen navi date adjusted on 3,6,9??

So is it posssible to just get a gen 7753 and replace the asian 7750 in the current reps.. say the PAM250??

Some of the reps sold at Joshua's website and trusty's website stated that they have swiss 7753 movemnt in them.... eg. the PAM 250, PAM196.... Do they have the sunken datewheel problem as well?? Looks like they do in the pics?? Why?? Thanks.

Kai

So is it posssible to just get a gen 7753 and replace the asian 7750 in the current reps.. say the PAM250??

Some of the reps sold at Joshua's website and trusty's website stated that they have swiss 7753 movemnt in them.... eg. the PAM 250, PAM196.... Do they have the sunken datewheel problem as well?? Looks like they do in the pics?? Why?? Thanks.

Kai

Sorry Kai - this is not possible as the datewheel for the 735 is a bigger diameter which means that the window in the dial is in a different place. Here is a shot of an asian 7750 dial placed on a 7753 movt - see how they don't line up.

173657-8992.jpg

Sorry Kai - this is not possible as the datewheel for the 735 is a bigger diameter which means that the window in the dial is in a different place. Here is a shot of an asian 7750 dial placed on a 7753 movt - see how they don't line up.

173668-8991.jpg

Hi Mark

From the pic, it does not look that bad... is it possible to just make the window slightly bigger towards the left (of the window)???

Also, what about the swiss 7753s in the reps (PAM250, 196...)?? Any problems with the date?? Thanks.

Kai

Hi Mark

From the pic, it does not look that bad... is it possible to just make the window slightly bigger towards the left (of the window)???[/b

Also, what about the swiss 7753s in the reps (PAM250, 196...)?? Any problems with the date?? Thanks.

Kai

No good.... that will create another problem....date window too wide and/or out of place.

@Kai - believe me the date is too far out to be able to do anything with it. I have tried but to alter the window is impossible without the risk of ruining the dial.

There are no problems with the 7753 based reps as the dials for these are made to match the movt.

Hi Mark

Why is it that new datewheels are being printed by you for the 7753 based PAM reps?? Any problems with the fonts??

Thanks for all the info.. I apologise for bombarding you with questions on Boxing Day...

Kai

Hi Mark

Why is it that new datewheels are being printed by you for the 7753 based PAM reps?? Any problems with the fonts??

Thanks for all the info.. I apologise for bombarding you with questions on Boxing Day...

Kai

No worries for the questions - the Asian 7750's have datewheels that are printed up to suit the watch. That's why the asian 7750 based PAM's usually have a reasonable datewheel, but the rep makers do not re-print the 7753 datewheels as that means more costs for them on top of an already expensive movt so they just use the standard ETA wheel which of course is the wrong font for a PAM. Incidentally this applies to all the ETA based reps which is why I've also been doing the 2893/2836 etc wheels. About the only exception to this rule is with Rolex reps but even then the rep makers just apply an overlay to the existing ETA wheel as the standard wheel would be so obviously wrong (and in the wrong place).