When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

QC pictures of movements denied??

busetinha

I ordered a Rolex with a modified/decorated 3135 movement from a TD (I will not name who), and requested QC pictures of the movement and my request was denied. Is this normal? I was told that it would void the factory warranty. So, do they not expect me to open it up either to verify that the movement I paid extra for, is indeed inside of the watch I receive?? If I do, it voids the warranty? anyone have input on this issue?

Never seen QC of a movement,  so yes you ain't getting one. Welcome to the rep world..................

To expand do you think there are going to check every movement for each buy. Lower your expectations please or you will never be happy in the hobby, this is a buy of illegal goods for one tenth the price of gen from a guy hiding from authorities not a department store. Sorry to be so blunt but if you had read around looked at other QCs you would know this already.

Edited by Mike on a bike

I ordered a Rolex with a modified/decorated 3135 movement from a TD (I will not name who), and requested QC pictures of the movement and my request was denied. Is this normal? I was told that it would void the factory warranty. So, do they not expect me to open it up either to verify that the movement I paid extra for, is indeed inside of the watch I receive?? If I do, it voids the warranty? anyone have input on this issue?

Hello and welcome to the rep world.

First, the concept of warranty in this hobby, is highly contentious, and from experience, highly subjective. Dealers may or may not choose to replace a watch that arrives DOA for you, and it would seem to me that each case is negotiated between buyer and dealer separately. Any such warranty, sad to say, is also subject to the level of pre-existing relationship between dealer and buyer. 

Next, on to the question of verifying movement. Like my friend Mike said, it is not a common practice for QC pics to include a shot of the movement, and any such pictures are purely at dealer discretion. Having said that, remember and understand that there are several things that cannot be proved or disproved in QC pics, like loose screws in movements for non-see through casebacks, dislodged stems, stuck pushers, stuck datewheel mechanism.. the list is non exhaustive. The movement type is usually chosen by the buyer, and supplied accordingly by the seller based on generic trust. This arrangement may not sound ideal for some buyers with more circumspect in built in them, but believe me, many members here have the ability to open up their watches to check the movements, or to resolve simple technical issues. If the wrong movement is a prevalent issue among a certain dealer, it would have been highlighted. In this hobby, you must allow for genuine and honest mistakes, and learn the virtues of patience and placid communication, especially when something goes wrong. Regardless of right and wrong, aggressive or angry communication with a dealer would get you nowhere. ;) 

Pardon my verbose digression... in your case, I would advise you to trust the dealer and take the watch at face value. It is ironical if a trusted dealer cannot be trusted. If you can trust, for example, that the crown is not simply affixed to the case via superglue and is in fact attached to a proper stem and keyless system by looking at the pics supplied, then just go a step further and trust the dealer on the stated movement.

Hi and welcome. Once You get it You may well open it up to check - and You will find it really has that decorated movement inside, they want to sell them at that higher price. The warranty You get  is not a replacement one, if there is something wrong, You just send the watch back to China and it gets repaired over there in a couple of weeks or months.

The "warranty" the TD refers to, is that theoretically he can only open it once You have accepted it, otherwise he could not exchange it at the factory for another if/when You refuse it for other reasons (don´t like the colour of hands or pearl seems misaligned or whatever valid or non-valid reason).

If everything else looks good and well aligned accept it and soon You will get a nice rep. You´re just getting to know the place better.

Great feedback. Thanks for the inputs. I'll work on those lower expectation, man on bike ;) forgive the question, I tried searching the matter in the search bar but didn't quite hit the nail on the head with the results that showed up. And thanks for the welcome greetings. Learning more everyday.