When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Much Is Too Much For A Rep?

solicitor

1. They you CAN'T afford them. I don't buy the idea that someone would just never spend over X ammount on princaple or something. You can afford it or you can't. If you have to think about it or wonder if it is a wise way to spend your money or anything else then you CANNOT afford it. Simply having the money does NOT mean you can afford something.

That is silly; I know people with millions in their portfolios who still collect fakes.

>>>That is silly; I know people with millions in their portfolios who still collect fakes.<<<

And so do I, but that is not my point. My point is that is you say "I can afford a genuine but..." then you are just fooling yourself.

I am not sure how to properly get my point across and I apologize for doing a poor job here, I reccognize that.

I paid a ton for my 6263 7750 Swiss. But it is the only watch outside of MBW that actually excepts GEN ROLEX PARTS so i think that speaks volumes about its quality and the old adage you get what you pay for. That said I did purchase a 1680 cn for $188 that accepted a GEN rolex crystal !!!!

I love watches, but I have too many other hobbies to justify spending much more than $400 on a replica watch. Not because of any one reason pertaining to certain watches, but because I have other things to spend that money on..like tires and brake pads for my track car :p

That is silly; I know people with millions in their portfolios who still collect fakes.

Yes Craytonic, silly bastards are everywhere, but what can you do? Just shrug and say "there goes another silly bastard" :band1:

personally, and its only my personal point of view, i love watches, all of them. I have a few reps and a little more genuines. The one thing that has struck this newbie is that the two i've bought from this board, a PAM 005, and a PO from Andrew, EASILY, at least to me compare more than favourably with the gens i own.As for the monetary aspect, i've bought a gen Tissot seastar for 20 quid, and it never fails to amaze me that a 36 yr old watch, when given a gentle shake just sparks into life. :wub:

Please understand that I don't much about Rolex.

I've been told that the two "uppers subs" should not be i line with the center pin.

Please clearify this...

My 16520 Daytona posted above consists of the following:

-Genuine S serial case

-Genuine crystal

-Genuine bezel

-Genuine crown/tube

-Genuine dial (MKIV Tritium)

-Genuine hands (Luminova)

-Zenith El Primero 400 31j (which is what the Rolex 4030 is based off of)

-Genuine 503b end links

-Genuine 78390 bracelet

Mine:

175630-8510.jpg

Genuine:

175630-8511.jpg

The model that you reference is the 116250, which superceded my model in mid 2000 with the A serial run. This new model uses the Rolex in-house caliber 4130, which does indeed have the 3:00 and 9:00 subdials slightly above axis of the crown and center pinion :)

175630-8512.jpg

My 16520 Daytona posted above consists of the following:

-Genuine S serial case

-Genuine crystal

-Genuine bezel

-Genuine crown/tube

-Genuine dial (MKIV Tritium)

-Genuine hands (Luminova)

-Zenith El Primero 400 31j (which is what the Rolex 4030 is based off of)

-Genuine 503b end links

-Genuine 78390 bracelet

How much for all that? Its my understanding that all you need is a GEN movement and you'll have a GEN Rolex?

Is it actually cheaper to buy these watches piece by piece?

Edited by tonyp1

My movement is the same base movement Rolex uses for the 16520; the 4030 Chronograph caliber is based on the El Primero 400. Rolex changes the mainspring/balance, and a number of other items to downshift the beat to 28.800bph (mine beats at 36000pbh).

175643-8509.jpg

As for cost- I have $3600.00 into this one. A bit much, but considering that a second hand genuine model will run you $11,000.00, I feel that I got my money's worth. Is it cheaper to buy the parts to put this one together? Well, obviously so, if you know the right people. The difficult part is finding the parts...

Totally amazing and a beautiful watch. The only draw back is unless you can repair it yourself its going to be hard to get it serviced.

Nope. No drawbacks. I build these Daytonas myself, and if they need service, I simply uncase, and send just the movement out. In fact, I have this El Primero in with Ziggy right now for a service:

175658-8508.jpg

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=18140

Rolex has so much power that even independent watch makers steer clear of the servicing of replica Rolex.

Farthest thing from the truth. Rolex has no real power in this sense. Watchmakers aren't selling watches, only servicing. Rolex can't zing them for anything since it's not illegal to service or own a replica watch; to most independents a watch is a watch, and the money coming in for a repair still pays the bills. About the only threat they can impose is pulling their parts account, which, as we all know is no longer the case since Rolex stopped distributing parts; the only way one can obtain parts and service is through NOS with certain parts houses, the secondary market (which is highly inflated) or through any of the RSC, with a valid genuine, of course.

Obviously that is a killer watch and wonderfully put together and all, and in fact it has much, MUCH more in common with the gen than any fake. Hell, I don't think you have any "replica" parts on it whatsoever... so obviously it is an exception and not really the rule by any stretch of the imagination.

On a slightly different note I can get a brand new genuine SS Daytona for $9K so if you are seeing them USED for 11K I would steer clear of that store. Now I admit, I would be waiting close to a year for that watch so maybe people are willing to pay even more of a premium to get the used one now... but that is just stupid.

Well, the 16520 (which is the model I have) is now a highly desired piece by collectors, as it is no longer in production (and earlier models are considered Neo-Vintage). True, one could get a brand new 116520 with the Rolex 4130 for less (I can get one at retail right now- A few thousand LESS than $9k), but such isn't the case with the El Primero Daytona- Just about every second hand source for one will have theirs priced in the $9k to $12k range. Supply vs. demand.

Hmnmm, I did not realize that the el Primero ones were selling for more than the current in house movement version.

A family member of mine owns a Rolex Delaership and has offered to get me a gen at his cost, I have already hit him up for several others. I decided to take a pass on the Daytona though as I know he would prefer to offer them to his best clients and I am not a huge enough fan of them to steal it from him. But perhpas I will take him up on it sooner or later. I coudl quite easily sell it for thousands in profits but I could never do that and he would be VERY upset if I ever did.

tvt- I'd take your family member up on that watch, especially if it's at his cost! The 116520 is a fantastic piece, and the movement inside is superior to the El Primero in terms of technical specs. If you like Daytonas and you can get one of these at below retail, I'd say that's simple math...

:p

Just my opinion of course...

Trust me, it is tempting for sure. But he is not a big enough dealer to get the SS Daytonas easily, he has to wait for them liek everyone else. When he does get one in I know he likes to sell them to his best clients who have been waiting. It is sort of a "thank you" of sorts to those customers. Unlike some dealers he does not mark them up over retail. While he has offered the next one to me I just feel as if it would do him more good than me. I also have already purchased watches from him at his cost and though he is a close family member (father in law) I don't want to press my luck. it is hard to tell if he sincerely wants me to purchase it or if he is simply being kind but really would prefer to sell it.

This year my wife bought me a really nice Orbita three watch winder (it is made out of some extoric wood and carbon fiber... sweet) through her dad at actually BELOW wholesale cost. he called up Orbita and said it was for himself so they sold it to him for less than the normal wholesale. My point is that there is a fine line between appreciating his generousity and abusing it! Liek I said though, I have a feeling that sooner or later I will go for it. Rolex does not double cost from wholesale to retail but it is a really great price. I think in general wholesale is about 60% of reatail so you figure if a watch retails for say 7K I would be looking at $4,200.

I have set the limit at 350 US dollars :) no replica can sanefully be worth more than that (Exeptions to this rule: save it be made of solid gold, be water resistant to 600 meters or contains an unusually expensive movement)

g. :)