When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tempus Machina replica, how would you do it?

hologramet

19a4c321aad7f4bade854ad9de01c11e.jpg

First attempt at home made gilt dial on brass plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great first attempt. I double layer my decals. It helps to clean up the lines on the text and prevent any brass from showing through. It does make the dial thicker though. I usually remove the date wheel and dial spacer to balance it out.

20160120_1404472_zpsr2ctm4nu.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Great first attempt. I double layer my decals. It helps to clean up the lines on the text and prevent any brass from showing through. It does make the dial thicker though. I usually remove the date wheel and dial spacer to balance it out.

Oh wow I was wondering how yours came out so clean and dark. Thanks for the tip I'll try that today!

19a4c321aad7f4bade854ad9de01c11e.jpg

First attempt at home made gilt dial on brass plate

Nice !

Here are mine

5513 meter first

1a31aa4df11c134133b3460657927770.jpgd21d22cb790caf87c48309bea88e22bc.jpg

39e5bbe513562240a34cbd8b16c43fd1.jpg34d3bf91a9983c9bc673e298c2d5b2ba.jpg

Didn't try to double layer my decals.

bfa8f006774dbf34d3dcd135f369d998.jpg

• Like 2

You guys, these dials are looking amazing! This is so cool. What items do I need to buy in order to try this myself? Ink jet printer, the decals, blank dial plates, lume powder? When I get to stage where I want to try it myself, can I PM or email you guys and ask for help and for your dial image files?

Didn't try to double layer my decals.

bfa8f006774dbf34d3dcd135f369d998.jpg

At what DPI did you print?

You guys, these dials are looking amazing! This is so cool. What items do I need to buy in order to try this myself? Ink jet printer, the decals, blank dial plates, lume powder? When I get to stage where I want to try it myself, can I PM or email you guys and ask for help and for your dial image files?

Absolutely.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Look what the cat dragged in:

RLX 300/1000 @ Toro

Bezel, wrong but nice

Insert, wrong but the triangle is OK

Dial, wrong, but would look pretty good with a Vintage Superluminova relume

Hands, see above

Case, wrong, but at least the CG's are gone. Would need some chamfers on the lugs

Bracelet, not that shabby. Not Noob V6s quality, but OK

Crystal... mehh...

Crown, very wrong, Athaya v2 is needed.

The big question is.. Which would be the beat base? This or Noob V6s. I think at would go for both, and sell the V6s midcase and bezel assembly.

All in all a pretty good base

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
17 hours ago, RocketHurricane said:

Hologramet,

Can you repost the file "Tempus_Machina_dial_BW.pdf"? When I download it it seems to be corrupted and won't open in Acrobat. Thanks

It's an Adobe Photoshop pdf (actually psd) with embedded fonts.  Try opening it that way. 

I'm on vacation so unless someone else can upload, that's all i can offer for now. 

• 2 weeks later...

NEWS

5 dials of 216A and 5 dials 809H are on the way. On ETA-feet only.

1) Noob v7 114060 is only available with A2836 (as far as I know)
2) There would be another MOQ of 5 dials to make 5 3135-dials.
3) I can't find any sterile dials on 3135-feet for an accetable price.

Currently reverse-"engineering" the 809H dial using mix and match of segments from different dials.

Hopefully a small "group buy" can be made, checking with Nanuq as we speak. Why? Well last time I made dials with HR and had them lumed by Big Daz I lost 400 USD on making an extra set of dial + hands because someone who really wanted one, then fell through. I donated this set to the forum and i think StoneP is making a simple 216A for an upcoming raffle.

Price:

1) About 200 USD unlumed per piece. (+ shipping)

2) Option: Possible to add lume with real Superluminova C1 "puffy"/"creamy". Price approximative 100EUR incl. shipping
> The deal is BYOH (bring your own hands). Lume of them is included in the price. BP-hands 116613/8 with ETA size can be bought at the same time as the 114060 (so add that), 

----

The small print:

I'm checking with various modders on the forums to see if I can provide a "whole" package for those interested. That means I can arrange a price with different guys (hopefully), which makes it much simpler for them and for you. This to provide an "all included"-price so you know what you're getting in to.

To clarify:
1) I will only get dials made, as there is a MOQ from the shop.

2) This is not an attempt to make money. All the hours I've put in to the dials and details would have since long bought me a gen 114060 if I would have worked instead. But what's the fun in that.

3) As we all know, I can only guarantee that I do my best with the sketches. I can't promise anything when it comes to the results they produce, neither can I promise anything regarding the lume job. However, you can rest assured that it's in my best interest to get it as good as possible. Since I don't know of any other option to get these dials done in gilt and on ETA-dials.

• 5 months later...

1 1/2 years after starting this build it's coming through...

Removed the pearl on a cracked bezel insert Noob v7 (they're sooooooo fragile it's ridiculous).

Filled the base with epoxy clay.

Top coated with some Loctite Precision Drop

(polished with silicon dental drills/polish tips and trimmed with a scalpel)

Then "Volvo Passion Red" lacquer...

Light edge trim

Then top coated with Loctite Precision Drop in several rounds to build up the "raised" pyramid triangle.

Then trim + polish...

Finshed:

The crack in the insert is much more visible in the pictures and the full "glossy" pyramid glow isn't as visible as in real life. A shame, since apart from the mini-crack, it's top notch... Really satisfied finally... (Only took about 30-40 hs of doing and redoing)

DSC_0287bda94.jpg
DSC_029024c4c.jpg
DSC_029140b87.jpg
DSC_0292ef234.jpg
DSC_02934816a.jpg

5 minutes ago, philwongnz said:

Great work. May I ask why don't u get a new bezel insert?

Because they break too easily...

Once you remove the pearl to work with the "opening" it's just a matter of hours before it cracks...

The original ceramic inserts are much more "flexible". These replica ones, look great but they're too fragile. I think that is the reason why TM do these ceramic triangles separately and then probably glue them in...

16 minutes ago, hologramet said:

1 1/2 years after starting this build it's coming through...

Removed the pearl on a cracked bezel insert Noob v7 (they're sooooooo fragile it's ridiculous).

Filled the base with epoxy clay.

Top coated with some Loctite Precision Drop

(polished with silicon dental drills/polish tips and trimmed with a scalpel)

Then "Volvo Passion Red" lacquer...

Light edge trim

Then top coated with Loctite Precision Drop in several rounds to build up the "raised" pyramid triangle.

Then trim + polish...

Finshed:

The crack in the insert is much more visible in the pictures and the full "glossy" pyramid glow isn't as visible as in real life. A shame, since apart from the mini-crack, it's top notch... Really satisfied finally... (Only took about 30-40 hs of doing and redoing)

DSC_0287bda94.jpg
DSC_029024c4c.jpg
DSC_029140b87.jpg
DSC_0292ef234.jpg
DSC_02934816a.jpg

Interesting!!! Thank you!!!