When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

White Explorer 6610 - Fini!

jmb

I almost feel like I'm spamming but I figured the finished version of this project should be in i's own thread.  This is the culmination of several versions of the dial and different case "vintagizing" techniques based on feedback from kindly Brothers in this forum!

When researching the White Explorer 1016 I discovered that it's predecessor, the 6610, also came in a white dialed version so I figured I might as well go for it since I already had dial artwork.  After conferring with alligoat he gently convinced me of the error of my ways insofar as putting a 1016 dial in a 6610 case.  He correctly pointed out that the 6610 dials were not "Superlative" Chronometers but just "Officially Certified" Chronometers.  I thought, "Crap, back to AutoCad!"  After a few revision (mainly to get fonts slimmed down to where they didn't look too bold and bleed together) I had the CAD drawing finished.  I took a 28mm dial blank, sprayed it with gloss white paint, and applied the decal.  After allowing the decal to dry for a day I put a light coat of matte clear spray on it and after it dried I rubbed on some very fine "dirt" from behind my buffer and then sealed in the dirt with another coat of matter clear.  I then mixed some lume and did my best.

After several iterations this is what I have wound up with.  It's not perfect and although the dial (as any waterslide based dial) will not hold up under extreme magnification I have to say the wrist presence at 1:1 size is super!  I had originally meant for this to be on a strap but while I was rooting through some boxes for a black leather strap I ran across this no-name folded link bracelet that looked right at home and also allowed the lug engraving to be seen.  Trying to give the impression of a late 50s case I put some dings on one area of the case, some scratching, and over-buffed it to smooth the edges.  I decided to power it with an ETA 2451 movement which is an 18k vph movement.

Here's some pics...

White 6610 7.jpg

White 6610 1.jpg

White 6610 2.jpg

White 6610 3.jpg

White 6610 4.jpg

White 6610 5.jpg

White 6610 6.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, and it's really easy if you have the correct "dirt" to do it with!  ;)  After looking at a lot of "naturally aged" dials in movement donor watches it appeared to me that a lot of the grunge on lighter dials came from the grunge created by the less cared for movements themselves.  I've bought dozens of 30-40 year old watches, that probably had seen few services, and they usually had black crap floating around both behind and in front of the dials.