When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer 1655

Max72

I'm deciding to go for a 1655 superfranken:
Phong midcase+ case back
Gen 1575
Gen dial, bezel and hands

Now,  I found this lot on sale:
Gen dial, bezel and hands, allegedly a Mk IV set. Before parting with a bundle of hard earned cash I need the experts opinion on the authenticity of the parts.
Thank you all for all your help.

Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 5.03.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 5.03.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 5.04.23 AM.png

I'm thinking to recycle my Phong based superfranken 1675, that was put together by Rolex Addict or sell it, I'm still debating it. I have invested over 6K in that GMT

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkESs s

here is the "donor", eventually... It was one of Phong's $4500 PCG frankens that I upgraded with gen Mk V dial, gen red back insert, gen tropic 116, gen crown and tube and gen jubilee from 1969; to this add Rolex Addict's artistic touch and also that the movement has been serviced in Paris prior to assembly and voilá: one of my favorite watches is served. I really love that watch, RA did a great job especially at aging the tropic and the DW.

1675.jpg

after1.jpg

after2.jpg

after4.jpg

after5.jpg

after7.jpg

"I'm deciding to go for a 1655 superfranken..."

"I'm thinking to recycle my Phong based superfranken 1675, that was put together by Rolex Addict or sell it, I'm still debating it. I have invested over 6K in that GMT."

Frankenstein 1655 and 1675 projects are expensive for sure.

I started on a 1655 project in mid 2011 with a used Phong case in fine condition, genuine 1575 almost fully converted to 1575GMT with new parts, and aftmkt dial/hands. The killer has been the GMT parts. After four years it is not finished (still missing a few $GMT$ parts) and the project passed $3000 a long time ago just in parts. If I bought the Phong case new it would be close to $4000. The only thing that would hold the cost down to the low to mid $3000+ mark is that I can do all the work myself. Hire it out and the cost will rise rapidly.

Since the 1575 with GMT parts is worth about what I have in it, I may put it away and go with a nos swisseta 2836 with Asian GMT conversion and slow it down to 21600 bph with 2846 escape wheel, pallet fork, and balance assembly plus taller hour wheel, center second pinion, and cp. From my experience, the Asian non adjustable GMT conversions are basically trouble free.

Looking back at the hassle and expense and knowing what I know now...if I wanted a 1655 today, I would probably pick out the best cartel 1655 with a good bracelet and DG GMT movement, c/o the movement, and go with it for around $300 or less for a while before getting into a high $$ 1655 project.

If I wanted a high quality 'reasonable' cost Frankenstein project, I would go with a Yuki case/dial and genuine movement 5512 (1560/70) or 5513 (1520). An MBK 5512/13/1680 case might save a few $$ but you would need to use a date movement with the date works removed. No date vintage projects are easier even when using genuine movements because less parts = less trouble and besides, slow set dates are a curse.

Yes, this hobby can become a money pit.... and I have hobby funding policy agreement with my better half that I cannot circumvent :nono:

To save money I would have to use the gmt 1575 movement , they aren't easy to find and they are expensive as you said and that alone would save $ and time. I have an extra tropic 116 still sealed too. that I could use,

On top of that I would need a master modder in US to realistically age the case and put the watch together and water proof it. I don't have enough experience to attempt messing with it myself especially with that kind of money involved.

I have other Rolex parts that I could sell to provide the extra cash to buy the dial, hands and bezel for the 1655. I could sell a beautiful Rolex Cal. 618 that I bought a year ago for a Radiomir project that never took off because of the size of the case, I have a wrist that doesn't look good with a Panerai  strapped on it although I love the design and look of it.