When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5514 crystal retaining ring diameter question

Beachcomber

Guys, I wonder if someone more knowledgeable than myself can help me. Does anyone know the diameter of a genuine crystal retaining ring. I have one (supposedly gen) which measures 35.52 which is larger than my gen bezel assembly which measures 35.3, obviously the assembly cannot fit on a retaining ring which is larger. The bezel

Is gen and from a sealed package so I know it's gen. Any help? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opps, I meant a 5513, not 5514

Hi mate as I told you I had the same issue with my 5514 builds.

I bought a genuine service retaining ring from Alberto and a genuine service bezel assembly and when I unpacked them they didn't fit together, so there is a lot of diameter variation on a genuine 5513 retaining ring, so it is a hit or miss.

The best thing to do is to find the whole bezel assembly together it can be very expensive for a gen (around 1k ) but avoid the hassle

I have an entire bezel assembly from Rolex less the retaining ring. I don't think buying another entire assembly is going to fix the issue. Gen retaining rings should all have the same measurements it just doesn't make sense to have them made by Rolex which won't fit their bezels.

I have an entire bezel assembly from Rolex less the retaining ring. I don't think buying another entire assembly is going to fix the issue. Gen retaining rings should all have the same measurements it just doesn't make sense to have them made by Rolex which won't fit their bezels.

First you have to note that the 5513 has been the longest submariner in production, and they were a lot of variation, bezel teeth, in case shape, dial, print, Crystal crown and tube and so on, so of course all the retaining ring doesn't have the same size, as I said I had gen sealed parts and didn't fit together. This is why rolex recommend to install them themselves at their RSC because they got tools and can install the need retaining ring.

If you have the money you can buy 2/3 gen retaining ring and try which one fits, easy to find on eBay or Chronoshop(but expensive there) this is why a complete bezel assembly avoid fitting hassle.

• Like 1

I knew a fellow who was the head mechanic at a rolex AD for over 20 years and he said when rotating bezels fell off of 5512/13/1680 etc (a common occurrence) he always replaced the crystal and complete bezel assembly because mixing the parts (genuine parts) did not always work. There is a lot to go wrong and he spent a lot of time screwing with them in order to get the 'right feel' and he kept a small box with inner and outer bezels for these old watches handy. I have the od of a genuine inner bezel written down and it is 35.50mm on average...measured one way it was 35.49 and another it was 35.50. I always go with the larger size on the od of the inner bezel and smaller size on the id of the rotating bezel.

The case neck has to be the right size, the od of the crystal after it is fitted on the case neck has to be the right size, the crystal retainer bezel has to be the right size (id) plus the right size (od) after being pressed down over the crystal, the spacer has to be the correct thickness, and the id of the rotating bezel has to be the right size. 

After fighting snap on bezels for years, there is a lot to be said for spring wire retainer bezels, they have enough slack to take care of sloppy fitting parts and they are hard to knock off...also hard to r/r though. When was the last time anyone lost a spring wire bezel from an F520117 noobmariner? You can't even blast one off.

Imho, with replica 5512/13/1680,1675 etc, you are usually better off to use quality replica parts and just match them up or modify them to fit. Adding genuine parts into the mix does not always work, costs a lot of $$, and sometimes makes it worse. There are three or four different crystals for 5512/13 in the GS line plus Sternkreuz and a dozen others, sometimes you have to swap crystals around too. I do not use genuine crystals on Frankensteins etc because I have had good luck with various mix and match aftmkt crystals. Sometimes you need a 'misfit' to make it all work. 

Let us know how it goes with the genuine parts. Hope it all works out.

• Like 1

Because of the tiny tolerances involved, bezels and retaining rings made in separate facilities can result in imperfect matches. Even as a retaining ring is removed and reinstalled as crystals are replaced, the metal will stretch. To ensure crystals remain secure, Rolex used to make plexis with slightly wider diameters for older watches. But, Rolex does have a tool (ref 1006) that is used specifically for reducing or enlarging the retaining ring and bezel diameters:

50b8ff0a80fd67014136830b8887da02.jpg

Even with sapphire retaining/bezels (eg 16610), you can get mis-matches too.

The tool above costs about $5k if you can find it. I sure would like one!

• Like 1

Because of the tiny tolerances involved, bezels and retaining rings made in separate facilities can result in imperfect matches. Even as a retaining ring is removed and reinstalled as crystals are replaced, the metal will stretch. To ensure crystals remain secure, Rolex used to make plexis with slightly wider diameters for older watches. But, Rolex does have a tool (ref 1006) that is used specifically for reducing or enlarging the retaining ring and bezel diameters:

Even with sapphire retaining/bezels (eg 16610), you can get mis-matches too.

The tool above costs about $5k if you can find it. I sure would like one!

interesting, does it stretch and compress?