When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Font and dimensions of 9411/94010 caseback?

RickFlorida

Hello fellow and ladies if there are those as well.  I'm a going to be working on a tudor project and wanted to know if anyone would care to share the approximate size and font of the Tudor caseback (9411-94010).

I have etching knowledge from making jewelry and believe that satisfactory results could be achieved.   I will share the process once I have done it if it is successful.  Both Raffles Time (Ken) and Yuki are out of stock.    I will probably still have someone engrave between the lugs as it's a bit harder to etch small things with precision, but the Tudor caseback should be doable.

If anyone owns a Yuki or Raffles casebook, or original, a few moments with a caliper would be awesome.    In short,  I normally use a very inexpensive but great system using laser toner, and a professional foil that covers the masking.   I also would use varnish with black ink to further protect the rest of the design.   Either Nitric Acid or another formula for the etchant.

I am going to be using a case that is the newer 5513's from Josh Cartel.    The new ones have a nice flat caseback.

great stride forward if you can pull this off.

I have a genuine 9411 so will measure it over the weekend.

thank you.   I will share how to do it with steps so thank you so much.  Could you also measure the spacing between words and the height and width of the rolex crown since its different from the letter size.    

Edited by RickFlorida

In fact.... I will post a copy of the completed template so all you guys have to do is print it in laser toner on the transfer paper .   I use pcbfx.com     And then I normally heat the paper on silver or gold to transfer the design, (mask).  Of course, in this case, it will be on the stainless case back.   Now I normally transfer designs onto thin gauge sheet so it can fit in a laminator which is the best way to heat and press it on.   But in this case, we cannot fit the caseback in a laminator so we must iron it on and provide our own brute force.

So our friend Ken at Raffles, we would rather buy your Tudor caseback if you can get them in stock again.   This is just a last resort.  :)    If the depth and cut looks clean enough, then great.  If not, we will have to pay for professional engraving.  Which there are not a lot of people who would offer it.  There are only 2 that I know of so the rates are not competitive at all.

Edited by RickFlorida

Hello fellow and ladies if there are those as well.  I'm a going to be working on a tudor project and wanted to know if anyone would care to share the approximate size and font of the Tudor caseback (9411-94010).

I have etching knowledge from making jewelry and believe that satisfactory results could be achieved.   I will share the process once I have done it if it is successful.  Both Raffles Time (Ken) and Yuki are out of stock.    I will probably still have someone engrave between the lugs as it's a bit harder to etch small things with precision, but the Tudor caseback should be doable.

If anyone owns a Yuki or Raffles casebook, or original, a few moments with a caliper would be awesome.    In short,  I normally use a very inexpensive but great system using laser toner, and a professional foil that covers the masking.   I also would use varnish with black ink to further protect the rest of the design.   Either Nitric Acid or another formula for the etchant.

I am going to be using a case that is the newer 5513's from Josh Cartel.    The new ones have a nice flat caseback.

They are NOT out of stock. I just received mine. Buy from the eBay-store! That should save you some time... ;)
(and for the price I paid, I'm very-very impressed. The inner markings are very thin laser-ish, but the engravings on the outside have a wonderful font, and deep)

guys... the last time I tried, the raffles caseback does not fit the cartel cases.

Can someone pls confirm? I will measure the caseback shortly

I wondered about this.  All the more reason for my method....

Here is the precision I can achieve with etching metal with the pcbx toner paper and foil.  Now please disregard the quality of the finish, as I did not spend time to further varnish the masking.  I just want to show you the precision of the etch.

Is anyone good with Adobe Illustrator or other programs?  If I provide how to etch metal with precision, can someone collaborate with me and help create the vector image?   I suck at software.

5xkdno.jpg

I wondered about this.  All the more reason for my method....

Here is the precision I can achieve with etching metal with the pcbx toner paper and foil.  Now please disregard the quality of the finish, as I did not spend time to further varnish the masking.  I just want to show you the precision of the etch.

Is anyone good with Adobe Illustrator or other programs?  If I provide how to etch metal with precision, can someone collaborate with me and help create the vector image?   I suck at software.

I'm absurdly good at Photoshop, but just some minor knowledge with Corel Draw (created templates for amplifier cases/logos).

If you provide the font I might be able to help you after x-mas.

/V

Yeah I normally just create images and text that are horizontal.  I didn't think until now that I would have to create the Rolex words/letters in a circle and perfectly spaced.

I can create with pictures, the entire process of printing and adhering the image onto the case back and how to properly mask, then etch the metal.   But I have no clue how to wrap text in a circle.   If you do make the image in photoshop, I would recommend you make it an .eps or other kind of vector so people can print from Illustrator.

PM me later when you are ready.   I can make/find the crown symbol, so maybe it's easier for you to do the text?   

Edited by RickFlorida

They are NOT out of stock. I just received mine. Buy from the eBay-store! That should save you some time... ;)
(and for the price I paid, I'm very-very impressed. The inner markings are very thin laser-ish, but the engravings on the outside have a wonderful font, and deep)

I was just told by Ken of Raffles time he was out of stock about 2 weeks ago.  So do you mean Yuki is not out of stock?  How do I buy these on ebay as you did?  If it's the low cost one I will buy one for a reference but still do the etching How-To and share.

Edited by RickFlorida

If you can provide the font (name) the text and the height and width of some of the letters in MM ( Im from europe ) I could make the AI vector file for you and / or export it to PDF for printing in high resolution. An example image or photo what you would want to replica would be the best.

Its also the letter spatial and width that needs to be taken into account.

You can use www.whatthefont.com, upload an image of the font to recognize what font was used. Just follow the online wizard after uploading your image. 

• Like 1

If you can provide the font (name) the text and the height and width of some of the letters in MM ( Im from europe ) I could make the AI vector file for you and / or export it to PDF for printing in high resolution. An example image or photo what you would want to replica would be the best.

You can use www.whatthefont.com, upload an image of the font to recognize what font was used. Just follow the online wizard after uploading your image. 

Awesome!

AI is better than vectorized PSD.

Im going for walkover.

I was just told by Ken of Raffles time he was out of stock about 2 weeks ago.  So do you mean Yuki is not out of stock?  How do I buy these on ebay as you did?  If it's the low cost one I will buy one for a reference but still do the etching How-To and share.

You know what, you're actually correct.

His two blogs arent correct, I always use the eBay-site: http://stores.ebay.com/The-Raffles-Shop

And currently the Tudor caseback is out of stock.

/V

No problem.  I'm not always correct.    Somethings things say they are out of stock but when you email Ken he does have it.  So it's all good.

Sure.  I just need our friend to measure one of the cases for us.      I don't have one to measure myself.  Thank you for everyone's help.  Like I said, I should be able to make a very nice tutorial once we have the vector image.   Although I'm more used to etching precious metal and copper.    But the process should be the same with stainless steel.  Just a different etchant.

Hello, sounds good to me too.   Happy Holidays.    As soon as I get the dimensions and spacing, I will send you a detailed drawing.    Thank you for all your help everyone.

Rick

Great happy holidays!
Please send me a PM then, with a notice. 
Im not always seeings the forum replies right away, will build you the vector AI then. 

Sorry for late reply. A couple of bad news though:

1) Can't find my calipers

2) My 9411 caseback engraving is not the conventional version - these were later models so probably not the best to model off as they are thinner. 

Anyway to the photo, hope it helps somehow.

IMG_5180_zpsumynvwdp.jpg

We probably need a more high res closeup picture of the letters to determine the exact font.

just some example the rolex font look a like, which is not the one on the back is like:

http://myfonts.us/td-fjFbfp

To sum up to be able to replicate this correctly:

1) It would help if we know the font name of the back case you want to replicate 
2) Zoomed in high quality photos of as much words with indidivel letters to detect the used font or closest resemblance ( manual correction of font is possible but takes some time )
3) A full high picture with all the text on the back so we can overlay the font after resizing the image as a backdrop to work on in the correct size

Thank you for posting the photo.  It's a good start.   From this photo, I could count the teeth of the caseback and estimate the sizes.  If you could give me an exact height of the letters, I may be able to estimate enough of the rest. Now, is this an original?  I'm thinking we may need to get the Raffle's and Yuki replica or early original.   That's good to know because to me, it looks a bit different from the replicas.  Now if the replica's are pretty close to original, I'd really like to purchase one and have it in hand, and I could measure everything with a caliper myself and then forward a drawing to our friend to make the vector.   Then I would share with everyone exactly how I etch metal with precision.

Does anyone have a good relationship with Ken of RafflesTime to ask him when he can make more of the 25 dollar Tudor casebacks?    I could purchase one, and then measure.   They may not screw onto our cases anyways so etching with precision is still a good option for us.

I'm so confused as to why there are tons and tons of datejust replica cases and casebacks for them on HR and Yuki, etc.... but when it comes to parts for submariner cases, they won't list prices or everything is out of stock.   Why is this?

Edited by RickFlorida

Guys, the originals look like they were terribly stamped, not nicely engraved by a pantograph machine as I would have thought.

Actually, I wonder if they were cast?  Either way, this example looks terrible.

I'm thinking of just estimating the letter sizes and spacing and laying out my own template rough drawing to hand over to our friend to make a vector of it.   I will try to find the font too so he won't have to guess on anything.

Will update you guys soon.   The best though would be to get a Raffles replica.  Anyone want to sell me theirs?

pyq1k.jpg

OK.

Yeah I wonder if I may just go ahead and begin estimating a rough drawing and we can go ahead and get a vector file made.   So is it safe to assume Ken of Raffles no longer has access to the case backs that he engraved for Tudors?   It would be so nice to be able to buy one.   Even if it does fit our cases exactly.  I can't believe people use to buy them for 25 bucks.  You can't even get something engraved for less than 100 bucks it seems.

I wonder if we can show how many orders we would place for them would he be willing to sell more again.