When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Much Is Too Much?

miquel

Hmmmm... Looks a bit curious to me. The dial looks more characteristic to a 6238; 6234's should have the "Anti-Magnetic" signed dials along with the arrow head shaped indicies, etc. If this is a replacement dial on a 6234 signed case, then it is hardly original, and worth no where near the BIN price. As a matter of fact, SS 6234's typically sell in the $30k range...

Interwatches makes alot of mistakes and the first one is, that does not look like a 1939 watch. The hands are wrong- they would have been alpha hands, unless they've been replaced. Also, the movement bridge,

which states "Montres Rolex SA, Geneva Swiss..." is a later bridge. Granted, it could have been changed during servicing, but then where are the service papers? And how come this watch is on ebay Canada?

I guess I'll check ebay.com in the good ole US of A next! And the serial number for a watch manufactured in 1939 would be c. 71224. Come to think of it, was the 6234 even made in 1939? I would think it's a post WWII watch- more like 1949 or realistically, 1959.

And the more I think of it, the worse it smells. The dial looks like a 6238 dial to me- the early 6234 dials would have had "alpha hour markers" not the bar markers shown, and alpha hands. This is definitely a watch that needsto be verified by Rolex!

Interesting RS, your reply didn't show up on my computer until just before I posted mine, even though it was posted 30 minutes prior, and I had just logged on. So much for my high speed internet connection!

The point is, this is a pretty suspicious watch from what we would perceive to be a reputable seller. I see some of their watches as reasonably priced from time to time, esp. the vintage, more common models like early Dates and Datejusts. But I'm afraid they don't always do their homework. The kids in the back are running the show and making mistakes, maybe. Or, the owners bought a bill of goods and don't realize it. And they probably don't want to get this watch authenticated by Rolex (if Rolex would do it) because Rolex probably doesn't like the post consumer market running up the prices on these vintage models over which they have no control.

Another thing is, I see Astorlive and Interwatches saying watches are 100% Rolex on 40 year old watches. But alot of times these watches have noticable flaws. Just like an original SRSD, or a DRSD, for that matter, there just aren't that many around and you better have a pretty damn good provenance before you plunk down way too much money for such a watch.