When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bracelet Question

seafoam

Weird. Wearing mine for the first time in over a month. 18 years old and almost no stretch. Just don't wear it enuff.

I don't think omega bracelets are very expensive.

5ccf405431444aa3bad061701cd415e5.jpg

Today of all days, after 18 years of ownership, I noticed the SMP has two, yes two, inside lug holes. Huh. Never knew that.

61ce0c6349248ccb825a11d247a20878.jpg

Must be there for using leather straps I guess.

Huh. I'll have to check mine for double spring bar holes.  I bought my smp used from ebay and the seller never mentioned the stretch and disguised the severity in the add.  The tube was also stripped! I got it for a killer deal so I couldn't complain much. It was the lack of disclosure that urked me.  Anyway, I think I may just pony up and look for a used one in good shape.   The existing bracelet seems secure enough but not sure if I'm willing to take a chance on a link failing. 

Maybe Omega can recondition it? I think that as long as you keep the SEL's, then any bond bracelet will fit. 

Yes, both reps and gens have double spring bar holes. Makes the watch look more balanced using the top holes with a strap. Can even be used to give a micro adjustment if 'between' holes on a strap. 

May I ask @Seafoam how much your paid? PM if you prefer. Oh and SSteel is replacing crown and tube on some of mine if you need advice. 

Have you considered a rep bracelet and just reuse the end links and clasp from the gen bracelet?

I've never seen a bracelet with solid links stretch like that. To fix you would have to disassemble each link and replace all of the pins, I'd actually be concerned that one might let go if left this way.

Also, do you wear your watch very tight?

Sent from my iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk

Maybe Omega can recondition it? I think that as long as you keep the SEL's, then any bond bracelet will fit.

Yes, both reps and gens have double spring bar holes. Makes the watch look more balanced using the top holes with a strap. Can even be used to give a micro adjustment if 'between' holes on a strap.

May I ask @Seafoam how much your paid? PM if you prefer. Oh and SSteel is replacing crown and tube on some of mine if you need advice.

OK noted.  I paid $1250 but the seller refunded me $50 because of the crown/tube issue.  My brother in law is a watchmaker so he replaced the crown/tube (I bought parts from Ofrei) but thanks just the same kernow.  Interestingly enough, Omega welded their tubes to the cases when this watch was made so my brother in law actually tapped and grooved the case and the tube in order to screw in the new tube.  It's rock solid!  Maybe I'll contact Omega.  I would ask the in law but he did the tube job pro bono so I don't want to ware out my welcome ;) 

Have you considered a rep bracelet and just reuse the end links and clasp from the gen bracelet?

I've never seen a bracelet with solid links stretch like that. To fix you would have to disassemble each link and replace all of the pins, I'd actually be concerned that one might let go if left this way.

Also, do you wear your watch very tight?

I've used rep bracelets before with other projects and have never been impressed with the bond rep bracelets quality.  I cant see putting a rep bracelet on this beautiful watch.  Yes, it seems the pins are bent and disassembling them would hopefully reveal the smoking gun.  I just don't know if it's worth the trouble of tearing the thing apart. 

I totally agree about the rep bracelet quality and if it was my watch I'd have to put a gen bracelet on it as well.this would be the simplest solution and give you the most piece of mind.

I totally agree about the rep bracelet quality and if it was my watch I'd have to put a gen bracelet on it as well.this would be the simplest solution and give you the most piece of mind.

Agreed.  I think I'll start looking for a replacement ;)  Thanks for the input guys. 

You can strip some of your old bracelet; removable links, clasp etc to recover some of the cost of a new bracelet. You also got one hell of a deal on a gen Seamaster Chrono too. Post up some photos sometime - it's my all time favourite watch - I have 2 gens and 4 reps of it! :D

Nope :)

I have a pre 2008 franken with gen dial and ETA 7750, gen post 2008, gen titanium, post 2008 rep and 2 which are being worked on by Micky - one will be a white franken and the last will be a mishmash of a bit of fun may change the insert and may relume the hands to something wacky. I'll post them up in a few weeks once they're back with me.