When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tonnywatches, a "new" maker opinions?

hologramet

4 hours ago, ant1 said:

7394bc2c8b00ee31d9416ccad9b299fc.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Looks great!

So far I think we have come to the conclusion that these are "MQ" dials but at 1/4 of the price. That will create some very interesting builds I'm prone to think...

I'm waiting for an exactly similar, but from dung_chrono in a couple of days...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hologramet said:

Looks great!

So far I think we have come to the conclusion that these are "MQ" dials but at 1/4 of the price. That will create some very interesting builds I'm prone to think...

I'm waiting for an exactly similar, but from dung_chrono in a couple of days...

That dial is not the same as MQ. I have an MQ dial and the fonts are different (look at the depth rating). The gilt effect and lacquer is also different.

See my post for comparison pictures:

Yes I did ask and I did receive.. not quite sure I'm happy with the white paint...

looks unevenly applied and off white... like he rushed painting over a black dial and didn't get the coat of paint applied evenly.

Yes the indices look too separated from the markers as well.  Hopefully he will be willing to fix these errors for the next run. 

I personally think that the Bakelite inserts have gotten much better. 

compare.jpg

Edited by pam007

8 minutes ago, dbane883 said:

Could be the white balance used to take the photo. The background is off white too.

True Bane I agree with you on that (unless the background is actually off white), but Look at the discoloration "Splotchy" paint work...most noticeable on the chapter ring of the dial.. the transition from white to dark 9:00 to 10:00

The biggest Problem I have is that because the indices are further separated from the Chapter Ring, this causes everything to be pushed closer to the center of the dial.  Which means the base of the 24 hour hand might come pretty close to covering the text Oyster - Perpetual. 

Edited by pam007

Those are minor relative to the other issues. Coronet is a bit truncated. Fonts are a tad thick, lume plot location/size is off slightly, "oyster perpetual " is too close to the hole and/or the hole is too large, etc.

Again, maybe the lighting/white balance is affecting the font thicknesses.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last fall I bought a 6542 bakelite insert for my Pan Am build from dung_chrono that appears to be the same as the one posted here...

F4645993-E901-4CCE-B46E-A8696D0A26E2_zps

It's almost finished, and when it is I was planning on selling it because I've since acquired dlf's Pan Am (picking it up today in person), however now I'm thinking of getting a black dial for this one after seeing these pics - are those dials supposed to be gilt?