When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tonnywatches, a "new" maker opinions?

hologramet

He says the gilt dials are printed with "Swiss ink".

Is the gold in negative relief? Or is the gold printed on top of the black?

Hahaha.. yeah the swiss ink..

Most of the gilt dials seem to be in negative relief, however I have e-mailed and asked wether these are made by him or by another maker, and asked to see productions shots. We will see...

yea, he is one of the eBay guys that sells "refinished" dials printed with the Swiss ink. they aren't perfect by any means but are interesting none the less. I pulled the trigger on a dial from one of the eBay guys the other day, figured for a couple hundred bucks is worth a shot. based on shots I've seen it looks a lot more like gold printed on the plate and not negative relief but there is a charm to appearance nonetheless, despite the inaccuracies to gen. here's a couple shots of the one I picked up, I'll throw out some more when I get it in hand.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

042dc3f1a956aaf4b466f088fa96c059.jpg

39a680dff5657d654f367db00a2f2cb0.jpg

77461039750ed2aa4dc7b1f8b30bf95f.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I got one of his dials the other day. It was pretty good - not relief, like gen, but not printed on top like the cheaper dials... I was also impressed with the customer service. When I got the dial, it was chipped on the minute marker at the 9 and most of the 9 lume was chipped away. When I told him about it he sent me out another without even waiting for me to ship it back, relying on trust. I got QC pics and everything, so depending on what he has, this might be the new "Ingod" but with better customer support. :)

Interesting...

I asked him earlier if he could do custom prints, e.g. on 29 mm ETA-dials, haven't received any response. If so... I might be redoing my Tempus Machina-dial and also a 6538 2-liner for a HR6538.

yea, he is one of the eBay guys that sells "refinished" dials printed with the Swiss ink. they aren't perfect by any means but are interesting none the less. I pulled the trigger on a dial from one of the eBay guys the other day, figured for a couple hundred bucks is worth a shot. based on shots I've seen it looks a lot more like gold printed on the plate and not negative relief but there is a charm to appearance nonetheless, despite the inaccuracies to gen. here's a couple shots of the one I picked up, I'll throw out some more when I get it in hand.

Looks nice, thanks for the update! Is there any juice in that lume or is it just for appearances?

Edited by hologramet

Hmm.. http://www.puretime.watch/product/vintage-tudor-submariner-7928-yellow-lume-dial-a21j/

And a 26-27 mm 5513 gilt dial, and a ETA-adaptor ring + a slow-beat ETA and a lot of work could be a budget goodie.

---

Just got a response from Tonny, they wont do custom (irregular) designs if only 1 piece. His watchmaker doesn't think it adds up, and I can understand him.

• Like 1

Just got a response from Tonny, they wont do custom (irregular) designs if only 1 piece. His watchmaker doesn't think it adds up, and I can understand him.

Perhaps he'd however be open for suggestions if we do signup threads here at RWG? Eg I could see projects like albino 6542 dial for eta being interesting - just to name one design...

• Like 2

I would jump on an albino 6542 dial so fast, it's ridiculous!

If it's not "true gilt" I suspect that it's ink placed onto a brass plate, rather than the true method by which the black is usually produced on these dials. That is to say, I think that the gold coloring is actually brass, just the dial is not done through the true method. I'm just basing this off the "swiss ink" description and the fact that the gold coloring looks about as reflective as a gilt detail on a true dial.

• 5 weeks later...