When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Putting stem back in at time setting position??

horologist

Hello to all,

I have recently read that it is safer to put stem in time setting position ( hack position) when one  needs to remove the stem out from movement.

my question is;

when putting it back into movement, does it go back in the same way as if it were removed from say; the date set position or any other position ?.  I have always removed it  from a non hack position in the past until recently when the yoke went out of place and I had to take into the watchmaker to put it back in place??  In the past when removing it from the winding position (not the recommended way as I painfully found out) it went in smoothly and clicked in automatically.

Actually I've always removed the stem in winding position for the ETA based ones, and in time setting position when dealing with Miyota and/or 21j.

Therefore with ETA it was going back into winding, and in Miyota sometimes it was entering fine in time setting, sometimes it was clicking back to winding.

When you reinsert it do it delicately, rotating the stem until you feel it is fitting into the winding pinion (which has a squared hole).

This process is more or less based on your experience, and feel for what you are actually doing, for example, ETA 28XX movements I remove the stem in manual wind position, whereas 7750/3 ETA in time setting position.  After you have done this thousands of times, you get a feel for the components, and what they are doing from the feedback of the crown.