When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Second hand fell off causing surface scratches on sub dial

horologist

Does anyone recommend any product or coating to use over my dial that has some surface scratches caused by the second hand falling off??  They are just surface scratches over the gloss which are easily visible but not deep enough to remove the black paint.  I recall seeing a post about someone using a water based varnish or some fine lacquer to give a semi gloss finish that gave a uniform film disguising the surface scratches that look every good.  Not sure whether it was in this forum or somewhere else?? Sorry I am unable to take photos as my daughter dropped it at the swimming pool.  Old saying - When  it rains it pours!!!! Thanks for any imput

As stated above, it is very difficult to successfully remove damage to a gloss dial. That said, I was able to remove the light, circular mark left on 1 of my Sub dials due to a hand that was installed too tightly using Meguiar's automotive plastic polish, followed by a bit of enhanced patination from a UV light. Of course, you must remove the dial from the movement before performing this work & there is no guarantee of the results. Best to experiment on a donor dial before attempting your main 1.

For such problem on a glossy dial I have succesfully used a cotton swab with a little amount of fine car body professional polish.

I have made the cotton swab wet with the polish and then passed it lightly on the dial until the scratches went away.

Then I washed the dial with a bit of soap and water (important to remove the residue of the polish that may damage the paint if left there, even if invisible) and rinsed it with distilled water. I used a microfiber rag to dry it.

The results have been perfect:

f77d8c917bfc8df44560cf57dc06c5f2.jpg

It was scratched between the dial center and the word "precision", due to too thick lume in the hour hand.