When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Advice on purchasing a gen vintage Speedmaster

Champagnesky

Can you narrow it down a bit and indicate what you mean by 'vintage'?

First of all, is it a Moonwatch, as opposed to any of the other variants MKii, MKiii, MKiv etc?

Assuming it's a Moonwatch...

1950s / 60s / 70s etc. ?

2915, 2998, 105.012, 145.012, 145.022, 3750.50 etc?

Pre Professional / Pre-Moon / Moon?

Movement 321 / 861 / 1861?

Whichever period you are aiming for you need to ensure that everything is correct. Given that virtually all the bits are interchangeable the biggest single issue is to make sure that you don't end up buying a franken. There's a wealth of new, service replacement parts available (crowns, pushers, dials, hands, bezels, casebacks etc)  and many older watches will have had many parts replaced as service items. This will have a major impact on the value of the older pieces and you should be vary of anything that looks suspiciously fresh. At the very least make sure that the dial and bezel are correct for the model & year. If not walk away unless it is cheap and you're happy to leave it alone. Sourcing a 'stepped edge' or older dial, or, a 'dot-over-90' bezel will be difficult, frustrating and hugely expensive.

Also remember that the Omega 321 / 861 movement is a derivative of the Lemania movement so check that you are actually getting an Omega. Bracelets are another minefield and can be significantly costly in themselves - check the cost of No.6 endlinks for example. Bottom line is that, even with a plethora of service replacement parts it is still a genuine Omega, but the price should reflect the reality and be realistic. An excellent reference is the recent Rossier & Marquie book 'Moonwatch Only', although it is costly it's a great read and contains all the guidance you will ever need.

Over the years I have owned at least 30 older Moonwatches, from a 1962 2998-6 through to the late 70s. For a start I would suggest that you look for a early '70s, stepped dial 145.022. This is the last dial that truly feels vintage and is the easiest way into a 'vintage' Speedy. Many will still have the '69 pre-Moon caseback, which carried on at least until 1971.

Good luck and if you post pics of any potential purchase send me a PM to alert me if you would like me to comment.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, PAMman said:

First of all, is it a Moonwatch, as opposed to any of the other variants MKii, MKiii, MKiv etc?

1950s / 60s / 70s etc. ?

Whichever period you are aiming for you need to ensure that everything is correct. Given that virtually all the bits are interchangeable the biggest single issue is to make sure that you don't end up buying a franken. There's a wealth of new, service replacement parts available (crowns, pushers, dials, hands, bezels, casebacks etc)  and many older watches will have had many parts replaced as service items. This will have a major impact on the value of the older pieces and you should be vary of anything that looks suspiciously fresh. At the very least make sure that the dial and bezel are correct for the model & year. If not walk away unless it is cheap and you're happy to leave it alone. Sourcing a 'stepped edge' or older dial, or, a 'dot-over-90' bezel will be difficult, frustrating and hugely expensive.

Also remember that the Omega 321 / 861 movement is a derivative of the Lemania movement so check that you are actually getting an Omega. Bracelets are another minefield and can be significantly costly in themselves - check the cost of No.6 endlinks for example. Bottom line is that, even with a plethora of service replacement parts it is still a genuine Omega, but the price should reflect the reality and be realistic. An excellent reference is the recent Rossier & Marquie book 'Moonwatch Only', although it is costly it's a great read and contains all the guidance you will ever need.

Over the years I have owned at least 30 older Moonwatches, from a 1962 2998-6 through to the late 70s. For a start I would suggest that you look for a early '70s, stepped dial 145.022. This is the last dial that truly feels vintage and is the easiest way into a 'vintage' Speedy. Many will still have the '69 pre-Moon caseback, which carried on at least until 1971.

Good luck and if you post pics of any potential purchase send me a PM to alert me if you would like me to comment.

Fantastic advice. :clap2:

1950s / 60s / 70s etc. ?

Thank you very much for the advice! Will post eventual links!