When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

116610 LN noob v5 crystal/ mag issue?

shultz

Hi all,

I took a loooong break in collecting watches so I did in participating in the forums. But recently I purchased a sub-c noob v5 116610LN from toro's special offer. The watch arrived a few days ago. I am very pleased. Crown screws in butter soft, date changes exactly at midnight with a little `click`and the movement is running +5 secs a day so far. Not bad I think. But I am a bit unhappy with the crystal. As I am not that Rlx guy I did a lot of research in the forms before I placed my order. I read about the high quality of the "v5" and therefore I bought it. But the mag is too blueish in my eyes and there is a glare on it depending on the angle of light. As far as I know the genuine crystal is ar-coated inside and the mag outside. But here it seems that only the mag is coated with something very blueish... Furthermore in a certain angle the date seems to be a bit distorted/ deep/ dark (please see the pics). And of course the crystal is a bit too high. On can easily see the edges above the bezel insert.

I did my homework and found some ideas how to fix the high crystal in the forums. The noob factory seems to use a gasket which is 2.7mm high but 2.3mm seem to be right. Can the flater gasket be used or will the crystal come to close to the hand shaft, then? The gasket swap will bring the crystal deeper, okay. But how will it affect the mag "issue"? Will the date be seen clearer?

Did anyone here do that mod? I am appreciating your help, thanks in advance!

PS: There is a dealer on the bay selling sapphire crystals for the 116610LN for 35 USD. he promises that these have no glare/ lens effect. Did anyboy try these before?

On to the pics of my new girl on the block (there is some dust on the crystal, sorry):

?i=http%3A%2F%2Fi64.tinypic.com%2Fi76fes

?i=http%3A%2F%2Fi64.tinypic.com%2F2wlvl1

?i=http%3A%2F%2Fi67.tinypic.com%2F69f7ea

?i=http%3A%2F%2Fi67.tinypic.com%2Fdw9u2q

The 2.3 gasket is not correct, the crystal will be below the insert. The correct gasket is 2.56mm. Be sure and measure your gasket before you replace it, you may be surprised how tall it really is. Yes, the mag will slightly smaller. Rolex does make an A R crystal, but it will probably cost what you paid for the watch. Not worth it. Quit picking your watch and just wear it and enjoy it. The only people that care about silly details are  are the people on the forums. The real world could care less.

Listen to Matt regarding the technical aspects. The last gen 116610 AR crystal I bought was $275 and that was a deal....some would argue whether it's worth it. To me it was as the date was super clean and clear. You can find them over on TRF.

I think a gen crystal makes a huge difference. Takes the watch to a completely different planet IMO.

Sure no one else will notice BUT who cares what others think. I'm sure most members here would appreciate a gen crystal over a rep one.

Although Rolex do not use AR across the whole crystal (just cyclops) - Gen crystals have much better clarity and sparkle IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks fo that information. I agree we are nitpickers in the forums ;) whereas at least 95% will not even know which brand a watch is.... But here the crystal is bothering me and I will try to get it modded somehow. Overall it is a nice and solid sports watch and a gen crystal propably would be the right choice. So I am going to dive in the rlx forums, now.

Thanks agan!