When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Heuer Chronograph Bicompax 1970's, fake hands?

cocaratcha

Hi guys,

I just bought this Heuer watch with Valjoux 7734 movement, but did not do any background check if it is 100% original or not... I now fear that the hands are not original? The second hand gives me a small headache as I haven't seen any other vintage Heuer's with this square tip.

Thanks a lot in advance!

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

From all that I have seen, the seconds hands are mostly red or orange and are thin needle hands. This seconds hand looks like a seconds hand from a vintage Doxa. It has been replaced. Certainly possible to find a hand that is correct, but maybe not easy. The hour and minute hands look pretty similar to what I have seen (photos), but they are not the originals either. this model has lume only about half way on the hour hand and upper third on the minute hand.

Probably too late to do anything, but it might be worth contacting the seller and asking him about the hands. You might also go over to WatchUSeek and post a question on the Tag Heuer forum. Post a photo and ask them to comment, also you might inquire there as to where you might find a hand set.

Even more modern parts for Tag are hard to find, as from what I have gathered, Tag is hard to deal with when it comes to parts. I have been searching for and original insert for a Tag watch  that belongs to a colleague of mine, and all I can find are aftermarket, and his watch is from the 90's!! So finding a correct handset may pose a challenge.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Thanks for 'bad news' panerai153 and external site tips mcotter, appreciated! I posted on the dash and two 'Heuer' experts claim only the dial is original. I'll try to return it to the seller, but it is a lesson learned in the game of buying vintage watches :-) Need to do more research upfront and tame my impulsive trigger :-) 

Thanks for 'bad news' panerai153 and external site tips mcotter, appreciated! I posted on the dash and two 'Heuer' experts claim only the dial is original. I'll try to return it to the seller, but it is a lesson learned in the game of buying vintage watches :-) Need to do more research upfront and tame my impulsive trigger :-) 

Sorry sir, i always hate to be a bearer of bad news. And like you, i have made quite a few "impulse" buys that i lived to regret. One thing that i have learned in my journey through life, unless something you are buying is truly a "one of a kind" or something that is truly rare, it's best to do your research and ask a lot of questions, because if this one sells in the meantime, there will always be another one. Better to pass on some until you are comfortable in your knowledge, than rush in and buy something that ends up not being what you thought it was.

Good luck and hopefully you can convince the seller to let you return the watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Knowledge on rwg never stops to amaze, deeply impressed once again.

What I always say to folks contemplating a purchase, if you are not sure about what you are buying, then research, research, research. I'm not a Heuer expert, but I know how to find "stuff" . I took the OP's title "Heuer Chronograph Bicompax 7734" pasted it into Google , and instantly there were all sorts of information, including lots and lots of images of this and similar Heuer chronographs. It took about 5 minutes total to determine that the hands didn't match anything that Heuer ever put on these models.

So, guys, let the internet be your friend. Use the vast knowledge base lurking on the internet to help you make wise decisions. Had the OP done this before buying, he would have seen quickly that something wasn't right with this watch.

Nightwatch, what is so nice about this forum, is that people will take that 5-10 minutes to help others who are seeking answers. And for the most part, the answers are accurate and pertinent which makes them so much more relevant.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...