When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 118209 franken build thread

jorrie

Hi everyone,

After getting a awesome datejust from matt and loving it every minute im now investigating the build of a rolex president.

My goal is a 118209 president watch like in below picture but with non roman numbers.
Any thougts on this?

I think most parts can be sourced. But Since im wanting to build it in 18k white gold the most difficult parts to source are

-- high quality bracelt

-- casing

Any thoughts on where to get one? Already looked at chrono24 and ebay

Also can anyone tell me what color this dail is in below picture? IT seems almost blue to green.

post-408-0-64009900-1293981424.jpg

I know ill send him an email one of these days.
Only wanted to attempt a build myself its more expensive in the end but I would be a really cool thing to do.

Still have to readup and readup but getting a shopping list is something one can think about.

The color of the dial in the picture is oyster. It's not silver, not champagne, and not white, its oyster. But that is only used on a gold watch. On a white gold they use rhodium or silver.  Also the one in your picture is an 18238 old style. The 18239 is old style too, 118239 is new style. I carry those case and bracelets as well as the old style. Which ever one you build, DO NOT CUT THE FEET ON THE DIAL, you don't need to. Simply notch the movement ring at 4:30 and 10:30

Hi Matt,

Thank you for your reply. Im going to get married next year and wanted to build this one myself as a challenge. 
After reading up more on the serial numbers it would be better to go with the 118239 since it would have the updated bracelet and clasp [president clasp] (SOLID centre links) and thicker construction of the clasp. There where updates introduced in 2000 with the "K" Series model 118238 like completely polished casing.
18K white gold not by rolex would be rodhium plated. 

At least on the originals, not sure about the aftermarket ones you can get Matt?
I only see those 20 dollar ones on ebay, in stainless steel that can't be any good. 

My part list would become in basics:

- 118239 casing with matching bracelet president hidden clasp solid inner not like on daydate hollow. Perhaps It can be wrapped with white gold afterwards.
- Original oyster glacier blue index non roman dail ( probably hard to source )
- gen Tudor Dress Hands w/ lume
Gen matching Sapphire crystal
- Correct matching date/day discs 
- Gen Swiss matching

Any thoughts on above? Ill send you email matt this weekend perhaps we can work out a build anyway since after wall your the expert and it would be perfect as possible from your hands.

I think you should build this yourself. It will take some time but I'm sure you can do it. You're right, that glacier blue dial is nearly impossible to source. I also have matching day and date wheel overlays. Clark has a nice set of tudor hands. However be careful that you hour and minute post are high enough so the hands won't damage the dial. You can buy a taller cannon pinion. If you do, I have a long post sweep second so you don't need to change the center wheel.  Good luck

Going to give it a try and document the process along the way with photos.

So the basic parts in good quality I could get from you matt?
How is the quality on the president bracelet whitegold, has anyone actually done a white gold franken anyway?
Or is that a step to high perhaps. 

Just browsing the internet trying to learn a bit more, 
So basically the original looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-President-Watch-Band-for-Rolex-Day-Date-in-18K-White-Gold-20-MM-67-Grams-/131665919874

With a daydate one could use a steel bracelet but building a DD one would need a replica bracelet that has gold plating. 
Havent seen any after market or replica bracelets that come close. Most one's are cheap 20 US dollar knockoffs. 
My thoughts on getting the most realistic and best effect would be using a steel president bracelet in the high quality range then 
white gold plating it.

Matt,
The ones you can provide are 118239 with solid parts?
If I would buy one in stainless steel from you and get the juweler gold white plate it, would be possible to get a nearly close call on to the GEN one (?)

Ok, you need to calm down. The dial you saw for 1015E is a day-date 2 dial, not a 118239 dial. I can source about any dial you want, except glacier blue.  Once again, that bracelet you have a link to is an 18239 bracelet, not a 118239. I have high quality cases and bracelets. I don't think you will need to do anything to them.

Hi Matt,

Above link was just for reference should have added that in the post itself.
Im still investigating the options Matt, since I already have the datejust from you with black dail.
Going for a DD with whitegold and a white dail would make the watch very flat in my opinion, looking for some contrast in the dail vs the bracelet.
Then one would go for a black dail; but that would be almost an exact replica of the datejust in black and metal.

So have been looking at gold ones also to make a well informed decision.
Really liked the contrast of this a gold DD and black dail with gold indicators like: https://www.leebrantwatchco.com/products/rolex-day-date-president-mens-18k-gold-watch-champagne-stick-dial-fluted-bezel-president-bracelet-style-18238 That would be a 18238 in 36mm diameter, im looking for a 40mm diameter.

Its very hard ( now with the rolex having the new 40mm version ) to find 
the referencen numbers for a 40mm DD non 2015/2016. 

The 11839 would also be 36mm from what I find.
The one in the link if that would be available in 40mm would be perfect I think. 
Im mainly searching chrono24 for reference numbers than look them up on google af the moment.

Edited by jorrie

6 hours ago, mymanmatt said:

The 40 is 228238. The 40mm rep case is not quite 40. They do have the new bezel out, but the bracelet has not yet been made. They use the 118239 bracelet. They are the same except for the end piece.

So it would become possible to build a "new" 40mm like introduced by Rolex last year; except the bracelet.
Not really an issue but; do you know if, and when there will be a new bracelet out?
One could start with the older one you suggested and lateron swap it.

If looking for a dail from you what would be the numbers that are compatible Matt?
Since the 228238 is the new rolex 2015 model right; there must be compatible dial also from earlier models or can we get 
any of the new dails at a reasonable price? or else what dail numbers would be a match.

The most difficult thing is to know/ find information on what parts match together and there reference number.

I have purchased most of the tools required for the build.
And this topic seems like a very good howto guidance on how to proceed:
http://rwg.cc/topic/158976-diy-how-to-make-a-frankenjust

Could you advise any caseback openers? Or would "the plasic ball" work?
Thank you for your advice regarding this build.

Edited by jorrie