When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBK update

sputim

So as of rn I am in thailand and wemt to mbk to the famous Nah Piek! Found it after asking some people. It is located as already mentioned on the ground floor opposite to kfc.

I didn't see any watches so I asked the lady for vintage rollie. The only she had was a comex 5514 which exactly looked like a mbw! So I took off the bracelet which was worst quality to say the least but it was written "orig. rolex" and not "polex". But the rest looked exactly like an mbw for sure! She had tons of dials which are mbw dials up to my knowledge. With the R O LEX written like that on most dials and singer stamped on back.

So does anybody know more? Is there and updated mbw case with correct engraving or is it either an other maker?

I could have ordered a 5512/5513 but unfortunately no 1665..

Cheers and let's gather some info bout that

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

It seems that information on these watches is a closely kept secret. I have read all I could find on the 'net about them and found some info on another replica forum (do not remember which one) about the MBW guy 'George' who was around 10 or so years back and he was one of the main sellers of these watches. 'George' is long gone and the next main source was the shop in the MBK Center and now it seems maybe their watches are not the same as in the past. Looks like the last 'genuine' MBK stock available to RWG members was from 'rolexfinder' but it appears he is having trouble with delivery etc.

I bought two MBK 1680 from 'Reggie', and two from members over the past three or four years (5512 and 5513). The base watches (mid case/case back) are all identical, POLEX and all except for the case numbers, dials, and crystals...and the 5512 had a SD bezel. The quality was the same on all of them and I measured the case necks of them all and they were within a couple hundredths mm of genuine spec (28.2mm) and they all have the gasket groove under the crystal retainer bezel.

Since the MBK watches are getting so hard to find, I will go with a Yuki case if I need a case for another Frankenstein project with rolex movement or 'higher grade' Eta project. With MBK what you are getting is basically a case, case back, bezel assembly (right or wrong), and a medium quality dial and bracelet with what is now usually an Eta clone. Both my 1680s had new looking swiss Eta 2836, fair dials, and good bracelets but Reggie hand picked them. The 5513 was a case only deal and it was fine, the 5512 had an Eta clone, fair dial, so-so bracelet, and the wrong SD bezel. Since you will need a dial, crystal, case tube/crown, slower beat movement, and probably a bracelet when using an MBK, the Yuki case will not cost much more, if any more after the project is finished.

Imho an MBK watch is Ok 'as is' for a daily wear watch as long as the movement is Ok and it has a good bracelet but for a Frankenstein or project needing an 'in spec' case/dial combo, something else would probably serve better. I doubt the new breed of cartel vintage watches have reached the level of MBK but they are a lower cost option.

Otoh, if all you can find is the 5514, it might be a good buy if the price is not too high and you can always sell it on the forum.

could be a different case entirely. if you go to the watch floor in MBK you can find all sorts of vintage rolex fakes with average accuracy. dont pay the big bucks for an mbk case unless you know it's the same as before. the fact that it doesnt say polex may mean not. the cartel sub cases are also a very decent buy these days after they fixed the whole stubby CGs issue

• Like 1

"the cartel sub cases are also a very decent buy these days after they fixed the whole stubby CGs issue"

+1   Totally agree.  They are a good choice for Eta projects but do not know if a rolex 15xx no date or date movement will fit.

If anyone wants to send me an empty (no movement) later cartel case, I will try a rolex 1575 date with 26.5mm Yuki dial and 1520 no date with 26.0mm Yuki dial in the case. They both will not fit the same case but I can see which one might.

...or if anyone is ordering a watch, maybe they can get an extra one for me and I will pay them and post what I find out, I'm in the USA.   I tried to order one a few times but my CC would not work on a foreign order.

• Like 1