When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building my first Rolex help needed!

Steve620

Hi guys thanks for taking the time time read my first post and all the help, which I'm sure your community can offer.                       Firstly I have bought a mixture of Rolex parts on eBay this has cost me around $380 here is link the seller has mentioned I have had a great 'deal' but I'd rather your opinions .  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331972605165  the price I paid did not include the dial.  I have also bought this dial https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311695626736  could your guys please tell me what other pieces, I need and how much I am looking to pay to have it polished and put together. Thanks in advance 

As alligoat said, the links have been removed (scammer/fake parts?), so you are mostly on your own.

As to the cost of polishing & assembly (which is what a proper watchmaker does with every watch he overhauls), depending on the model & complications (& your location, if you have the work handled by a local watchmaker), this will cost anywhere from about $200-$1,500+. A standard, non-date 3-hand Oyster Perpetual, assuming all the correct parts are there & in spec, near the lower end. A chronograph or a watch needing parts will raise the bar to the high end.

Remember, Rolex is the watch equivalent of a Mercedes-Benz, the cheap 1s tend to end up costing the most.;)

Don't know what the Mido movement is, but the Rolex hands probably won't fit- you'll need a set of eta hands most likely- check out Clark's. You might have to spring for an eta- either a 2836-2 or a 2824-2- if it's a plastic crystal 16000 DJ case, I used a 2836 in my build, but others have made a 2824 work.

Looks like all of your case arts are SS, so you might need a silver or white dial to go with the case.

Oh, don't see a case tube in your case- you'll need one of those- 24-6000-0 maybe.

Will probably need a date wheel overlay also.

You didn't get a bad deal, but it wasn't a steal either. Next up is a watchmaker that can help you put all of this together- good luck

• 2 weeks later...
On 23 September 2016 at 4:21 PM, freddy333 said:

As alligoat said, the links have been removed (scammer/fake parts?), so you are mostly on your own.

As to the cost of polishing & assembly (which is what a proper watchmaker does with every watch he overhauls), depending on the model & complications (& your location, if you have the work handled by a local watchmaker), this will cost anywhere from about $200-$1,500+. A standard, non-date 3-hand Oyster Perpetual, assuming all the correct parts are there & in spec, near the lower end. A chronograph or a watch needing parts will raise the bar to the high end.

Remember, Rolex is the watch equivalent of a Mercedes-Benz, the cheap 1s tend to end up costing the most.;)

Hi thanks for the estimate. 

Yes good spot no tube case which has been ordered, I'm coming to the final parts now will post when finished. Thanks for the advice 

9 minutes ago, bid2ask123 said:

Isn't that a president band?

Yes I think it is. The lugs (what I think there called) don't seems to for neatly into the case there is a small gap, I don't know if that will be a problem otherwise I'm looking for a new braclet! 

On 23 September 2016 at 8:29 PM, alligoat said:

Don't know what the Mido movement is, but the Rolex hands probably won't fit- you'll need a set of eta hands most likely- check out Clark's. You might have to spring for an eta- either a 2836-2 or a 2824-2- if it's a plastic crystal 16000 DJ case, I used a 2836 in my build, but others have made a 2824 work.

Looks like all of your case arts are SS, so you might need a silver or white dial to go with the case.

Oh, don't see a case tube in your case- you'll need one of those- 24-6000-0 maybe.

Will probably need a date wheel overlay also.

You didn't get a bad deal, but it wasn't a steal either. Next up is a watchmaker that can help you put all of this together- good luck

Hi on inspection the case says 15000