When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Polishing Tips For Ingenieur

jj69

Does anyone have any suggestions for polishing my Ingenieur? Are the popular Cape Cod polishing pads safe for this rep? On both the case and the bracelet?

I noticed that on mine, the top surface of the crown (where the markings are) looks like it has a milky white film on it. It may be someone else's polish residue, as I am the second owner. Is anyone else's crown like this?

Does anyone have any suggestions for polishing my Ingenieur? Are the popular Cape Cod polishing pads safe for this rep? On both the case and the bracelet?

I noticed that on mine, the top surface of the crown (where the markings are) looks like it has a milky white film on it. It may be someone else's polish residue, as I am the second owner. Is anyone else's crown like this?

that's i think acid etching for the logo. if you want it off, use a dremel w/a polishing bit and some mothers mag polish. should come right off. this is like that on all ingys

that's i think acid etching for the logo. if you want it off, use a dremel w/a polishing bit and some mothers mag polish. should come right off. this is like that on all ingys

Thanks Flav. I figured it was normal. However, I don't have the tools you mention. Are they costly, and where do I get them?

Where do I get the Mag polish?

Is it also possible to do this by hand? Are the Cape Cod pads a waste of time?

If it's the etching on the head of the crown (where it says IWC) it would take you a LONG time to get that smoothed down... cape cod doesn't take very much off very fast.

Yes, it's the etching on the head. What's the best way to do this? Do I buy a power drill, polishing dremel and the Mag polish Flav suggested, or is there an easier way for a noob?

BTW, it this stuff I can get at Home Depot, or do I need to find a speciality store?

This is not a residue of any kind, it's deliberately been etched to look like that, as far as I know the gens are the same.

I don't think the gens have the white film on them, do they? If they do, it's not visible in any of the photos I've seen (never seen one in person).

Might wanna post a pic of this "white film" so we know what you are dealing with... but yeah the easiest way is gonna be buy some polishing compound and a dremel... harbor freight I believe has a cheap dremel that should suffice and polishing comopound should be easily available in a lot of places.

Might wanna post a pic of this "white film" so we know what you are dealing with... but yeah the easiest way is gonna be buy some polishing compound and a dremel... harbor freight I believe has a cheap dremel that should suffice and polishing comopound should be easily available in a lot of places.

I would post a pic, but I doubt it will show up with my 2MP camera. You can see this clearly in most of the close-up pics of the crown shown on dealer sites and here on the fourms. Keep in mind that to my eyes it APPEARS to be a "white film." It may not be a film at all. It may well be the result of etching the letters on the crown, or something else entirely. That's just the only way I know how to describe it. The top of the crown just looks like needs to be given a good, hard polish to make it shine like the rest of the watch.

Has anyone done this successfully? I certainly don't want to do anything that could damage or remove the lettering that is etched into the surface of the crown.

the gen has a similar etching. leave it be...... <_<

I know. But on the gen, it's all polished and shiny without the white film. Maybe I'm being too anal about this, but if there's a simple way to get it more acurrate, I'd like to give it a shot.

I suppose starting with a Cape Cod polish can't hurt anything.

Lovepanerai just posted a review of his IWC Chrono and has a very clear shot of the crown with the etched background. I have looked on the web at the Gens and cannot find a shot that clearly shows that they do not have this etched background so I may have to drop into an AD to take a closer look. In either case I think it is going to be very hard to polish this out without dulling the crown pattern.