When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

If You Saw This... What Would You Think?

ubiquitous

At the end of the day... It's anyone's outsider guess as to why Rolex does what they do. If anyone knows, it's the people behind the closed doors in Geneva...

aint that the truth...

i remain convinced that they dont even freaking know. ive revised my mental image from boffins in a shed to a weird amalgamation of the chocolate factory and the wizard of oz but all in monochrome

thanks for that. a nice read as always.

its a long way from no longer authenticating dials to not pulling out fake dials though.

my initial thought was indeed sloppy staff however sadly i feel it may be my latter feeling, thats its just a holding off action while rolex withdraw entirely from vintage servicing.

even simple things like replacement bezel inserts for vintage models isnt the same any more and daily the list grows of people refused service work due to age.

looks like the speel regarding rolex being a watch to pass from generation to generation wasnt meant literally :)

maybe we can hostage their toblerone until they see sense. i have room to store the milk chocolate ones here with me :brow:

Just for s's and g's , I called Rolex USA on 5th ave today and asked them how I could go about servicing my 5513. They told me Rolex no longer services certain vintage models including 5513's. They referred me to the American Watchmaker's Institute which is basically a watchmaker referral service. Unbelievable.

whats more frustrating about that story is that it would appear that theres no definitive answer. some people are accepted, some arent and theres huge variation geographically. perhaps its to do with who still has people trained to work on these.

maybe you were reffered as a quest. the watchmakers institute know the way to atlantis. for all the talk of the rolex heritage division i remain convinced that they have set up offices there, right on main st, though would dearly love to be proven wrong.....

perhaps finding them is the vetting procedure. corporate slogan, "if you build it they will come...."

This is good read on the subject:

http://bjsonline.com/watches/articles/0018_1.shtml

anyone notice the blurb for the 6536/6538. " minute markers to 3pm on the bezel" yet the rolex manual above clearly shows no such markings :whistling:

interesting note that all 6538 were chrono certified. i didnt know this and had wrongly assumed there were both available on this. this may perhaps suggest this dial at very best a 6536 dial in a 6538 case if it wasnt already loaded with enough other problems

Edited by thewightstuff

Mvt is real for a 6538, it's a rolex 1030.

the bezel insert no; a real is made of brass and chromed or aluminium plated.

the nsert will be (for the same as seen in "Dr No", "Goldfinger" and "Thunderball") a 6200 insert without reapeter minutres beetween 0 and 15 minutes. triangle was silver.

for the dial the circle around is correct but gilt color was better and"200m-660ft" will be in white letters.

for the case i loose angles on each lugs.

hands are little too fat, seconnds hands needs a biggest round on it.

But honestly i think it's a good replica.

i do the perfect bond sub(except mvt) if i can i will post pics. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Mvt is real for a 6538, it's a rolex 1030.

the bezel insert no; a real is made of brass and chromed or aluminium plated.

the nsert will be (for the same as seen in "Dr No", "Goldfinger" and "Thunderball") a 6200 insert without reapeter minutres beetween 0 and 15 minutes. triangle was silver.

for the dial the circle around is correct but gilt color was better and"200m-660ft" will be in white letters.

for the case i loose angles on each lugs.

hands are little too fat, seconnds hands needs a biggest round on it.

But honestly i think it's a good replica.

i do the perfect bond sub(except mvt) if i can i will post pics. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

so post your pics....

i'm looking for a vintage sub (6538... 6202... one without crownguards.....) but since now the only i found was the cheap version of silix...

post your pics...

It doesn't take a WIS to figure out why Richemont won't make these calls anymore--they know full well the determination, skill, and profit motivation of frankenmakers. They know how many of their old parts are floating around the planet. And they're going to be damned if the onus is going to be on them to figure out who's getting jaked and who's not. They just want to sell watches. They're attitude is: "Hey, we still make subs and sea dwellers and daytonas all of which we'd love to sell you. Wanna buy a watch we've already made our money on three decades ago under different management? Find someone else to figure out if 15 grand is a fair price for a beat-up watch that would sell for 10 bucks at a garage sale if it didn't have our name on the dial."