When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Please Suggest Screwdriver Kit

jj69

Can someone suggest a good all-around screwdriver kit for basic work on reps?

I just got a Vacheron Constantin Overseas and I need to remove the half link for a better fit. If you know this model, there are screws in the bracelet link and they're VERY small (and supposedly very fragile).

Is there something available at Home Depot? I'd like to pick something up tonight.

Thanks.

The best screwdriver set I have ever bought was from home depot. It is made by stanley and is yellow. The set comes in a yellow case that slides open and shut. The top of the screwdrivers spin to allow for easy screwing in tight places :whistling:

Yes, I have a set like that with the spinning thumb handles on top. Unfortunately, the one I already have is philips head.

Do you recall how much your Stanley was at Home Depot? Or is there a model number on the case?

Earlier this evening I got the Stanley Model No. 66-039 “6 piece precision screwdriver set” at Home Depot. Looks like a very nice set. Unfortunately, even the smallest screwdriver (1.4mm) is too large for the tiny screws in the bracelet links of the VC Overseas. I'm guessing I need a 1.2mm or even a 1.0mm for the bracelet.

I also tried Wal-Mart, but they had only another Stanley set with the same size screwdrivers.

Anywhere else I can try that might be open tomorrow (Sunday)? Options include Sears (Craftsman tools) and Ace Hardware.

Would an eyeglass repair shop have screwdrivers this small? Perhaps I should have tried Wal-Mart optical while I was there!

I am with Evildee. The bergeon sets are fantastic. One word of warning on better sets for the physically challenged (read as me) though. The bettter screwdrivers are substantially more "slippery" (technical term- :whistling: ) than your old cheap screwdriver so until you get used to them work carefully or you will end up with more scratches. I also find that having the set in a stand is very helpful for changing up if you tend to do multiple tasks using different head sizes at one time.

Earlier this evening I got the Stanley Model No. 66-039 “6 piece precision screwdriver set” at Home Depot. Looks like a very nice set. Unfortunately, even the smallest screwdriver (1.4mm) is too large for the tiny screws in the bracelet links of the VC Overseas. I'm guessing I need a 1.2mm or even a 1.0mm for the bracelet.

I also tried Wal-Mart, but they had only another Stanley set with the same size screwdrivers.

Anywhere else I can try that might be open tomorrow (Sunday)? Options include Sears (Craftsman tools) and Ace Hardware.

Would an eyeglass repair shop have screwdrivers this small? Perhaps I should have tried Wal-Mart optical while I was there!

I went that route with no success. You need to mailorder a set that has the smaller sizes you need.

Edited by Torques

THANKS CHIEFTANG! That's exactly what I needed, and it did the trick.

It appears that the bracelet screws in the Overseas are ideally suited for a 1.2mm screwdriver. The Radio Shack comes with only a 1.0m and a 1.4mm, so I had to make due with the 1.0. Not ideal, but it got the job done.

Unfortunately, the screw inside my half link is stripped, so that's not coming out easily. Any suggestions on how to remove a stripped screw?

I'd love the Bergeon set, but have found that the combination of the Home Depot Stanley set and the Radio Shack set (link) has met my needs so far - including VCO screws!!

How do you guys get the super thin slotted screws inside taken care of? Even my 1.0mm is too thick to fit in the slot for the 1.2 mm screws...

you need to sharpen the screwdrivers edge like sharpen a knife, use sandpaper or even better a knife sharpener

i have 2 sets that I use, one sharpened for thin slots and one set for when I need to twist real hard (example glued bracelet screws)

Whilst everyone discusses Quality Vs Other, I thought I might post this link from NAWCC ( which I think I have posted before)

http://nawcc-mb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tp...6972#1216046972

This is not to denigrate Bergeon, just to advise that some have had some problems of late. Maybe there are some rep Bergeon screwdrivers out there???? Certainly there are rep case back openers!!

On a similar vein, I recently bought some replacement AF screwdriver tips @ A$1 ea. And they are absolutely knockout.

Really its the tips, more than the drivers that matter ( as long as your driver tips are replaceable)

And yes Falco ( wasn't that J Cousteaus' right hand man?) agreed, the use of a sharpener (below) will make life infinetly easier!

Offshore

post-13-1168857412_thumb.jpg

Not sure if they made fake Bergeons but it seems so: Click here

This seller sold a few Bergeon-Kits in the past, always they same set... but on the other hand i'm wondering why none of our dealers has offered them till now...

you need to sharpen the screwdrivers edge like sharpen a knife, use sandpaper or even better a knife sharpener

i have 2 sets that I use, one sharpened for thin slots and one set for when I need to twist real hard (example glued bracelet screws)

Yep, I used my Dremmel to sharpen one of my cheapies.

THANKS CHIEFTANG! That's exactly what I needed, and it did the trick.

It appears that the bracelet screws in the Overseas are ideally suited for a 1.2mm screwdriver. The Radio Shack comes with only a 1.0m and a 1.4mm, so I had to make due with the 1.0. Not ideal, but it got the job done.

Unfortunately, the screw inside my half link is stripped, so that's not coming out easily. Any suggestions on how to remove a stripped screw?

If you are trying to resize the band smaller, then you may need to cut the link out. That is what I did. I was very careful and took my time but got the job done without harming the adjacent link.

@Falco,

Cousteau was my boyhood hero (50's). I have a complete set (mint) of all his books; both the smaller and larger sets, and wouldn't part with them for anything, even though they should be worth a few $$ by now. I marvelled at their exploits then, and time has only enhanced my admiration for what those men achieved. Without doubt, our 1st and best underwater conservationists, but also explorers par excellence; the group who not only gave birth to recreational diving, but nurtured it to adulthood.

Offshore