When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Think I'm Hooked...

stac

Years of collecting, reps and gens (mostly reps) I never really got into Daytonas. I thought they were cool but never enough so to pull the trigger...or even learn about them. Just resently a friend showed me a Daytona his father had left him after his death. It was a beautiful manual wind with a silver face and black sub-dials. I told him I didn't know too much about Daytona's and he should have it appraised...super nice with original inner and outer box!

Paul has one with the same dial and band and I'm getting the bug...a bug that costs major bucks as I usaully go from rep or two to a gen :black_eye:

What type of manual movement does he have in his Daytona's? He claims it is a working chrono. I'm staying away from Asian 7750's as I learned over the years to do so from the forums but my curiousity about the manual wind has got me going.

Is it worth it or is it junk?

A brief synopsis on vintage Daytonas...

Paul's manual wind vintage Daytonas (6263, 6265, etc) are usually of the Venus bi-compax variety. Most other variations offer this movement as well (or Asian 7750).

DW's manual wind vintage 6263/5's are the "Valjoux 23 copies" (not very reliable, and bi-compax. In truth these movements are unknown, and a complete mystery). To upgrade these movements, one could install a Swiss Valjoux 23; also a bi-compax, but very robust and reliable. A bit on the pricey side too.

In addition, DW's can come equipped with the Venus, or an Asian 7750 with or without the winding rotor.

Or... You could get a DW case kit for Valjoux 72. This is the most expensive route to take, but provides the ultimate in vintage Daytonas (genuine 6263's 6265's have Valjoux 72's reworked to Rolex spec caliber 727).

Sorry for the brief write up; if I had more time, I could elaborate more. Hope this helps...