When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Panerai Angelus - Enzo Project

Cucumber_Jones

Well many moon's ago I read Guille's project on one of the gen forums and I was inspired. However, I really did not care too much for the rolex movement. I really wanted an Angelus 8 day. I wanted one BAD. So I started looking and it took a LONG time. Then I came across two of them and I knew I needed to jump. This is where enzo came in at first. We both wanted one bad so I figgured that we could each take one and perhaps he would be kind enough to make mine in a watch.

Well this was more then 1/2 a year ago now and I finaly have my beauty in hand.

This is what inspired me...

221023-14488.jpg

Since I already had a destro MM I thought I would go righty on this one. Let me tell you this. If you have read Guille's story, mine is the same. This is a very hard project and anyone who was able to make this movt work in a watch has learned a lot through trial and error. enzo was kind enough to make a very special strap for my project watch as well.

I need to thank Davidsen as well as his vintage parts were inspired by enzo's suggestions and our needs for this project watch.

Here are some photos.

Hey CJ,

Very nice project and one that I now know took a ton of sweat, time and work!! I love the strap and the buckle!! What kind of buckle is that? I've been trying to source some nice buckles and I can't seem to find ones like the one on your watch??

GREAT pics of the highly coveted movement.

thanks,

skc

just a small point but its a pity you couldnt utilise the little seconds hand on this. according to my reference sheet the vintage models with the angelus 240 used little seconds and the rolex/cortebert 616 did without.

its a small thing i know but i still thinks its a shame.

regardless its a beautiful watch thats for sure. im super jealous and would snap it up in an instant :) great work

Edited by thewightstuff

thats cool. its your watch so you should do exactly as you want it to be. thats the whole point :)

ive a reference sheet listing model numbers, qtys made and full specs for all early panerais and it says that angelus 240 movement models had small seconds, rolex models didnt and im sticking with that info as being correct over any pictures im afraid.

given that yours could pass for a gen if submitted with pics, i tend to not take anything from pictures i see as theres too much room for misdirection.

thats a beautiful watch though, subseconds or not. i personally prefer the sub dial as it gives it what i feel to be the panerai look, many lean the other way though thats for sure. to have either would be sublime and i cant see how one could get any closer than yours.

whats the watch featured in the pics above with your angelus model? is it a davidsen version?

you know, i worry that the numerals are too thick on davidsens dials but it doesnt look it on your watch thats for sure

Edited by thewightstuff

I may have to send enzo over here. He and I have found a few gen panerai with sf240 movements that are base versions. They are rare but they exist. I will admit that most gen panerai with the sf240 do have the subseccond hand - but not all.

That watch two posts above is a vinatge russian (note the nice winding gears) with davidsen plates.

221516-14348.jpg