When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Winders

Antonio

Bought a 4 watch winder on ebay. One side of the 2 went out. Took it apart, motor is fine, it's the board that's not sending power to that side. Emailed the seller (bought it 6 months ago) to ask about a new board, but no response. I want to buy it, not asking for them to send me one for free. May buy another or build my own.

Anyone have one with a good board but bad motor?

-Antonio

Sorry, I can't help you, but an interesting note about winders.

I have had a cheap unit, $100 for a single winder and it has more or less worked flawlessly for 3-4 years. Thsi Christmas I got a $3,000 Orbita three watch winder made out of some sort of beutiful exotic wood and crabon fiber... looks GREAT. the only thing is that of the three winders the middle one spun at half the speed of the other two and could not keep ANY watch wound. SO back it went. It has been gone for 2 weeks and I have not even heard back from them yet. I have every confidence that they will replace it but it goes to show that MUCH more expenisive does not always mean trouble free (though it sure does look pretty).

same thing happened to me , i beleive it was gadgetsbestbuy is who i bought mine from , so what i did was i shaved off the wires of the good side(so there would be a raw spot all the way around the red and black wire) and spliced the wires of the other side(the one that was using the bad side of the board) by basically cutting the white pusher off and had two raw ends and wrapped around the wires on the other side and put electric tape around it to hold them together and now they both work on one side of the board , lol how long it will last only time will tell , if u dont understand what the hek i did , lol just email me and i will try and help u understand ok

joe(rbj69)

joe I am assuming you splied in parrallel as if you had gone in series your winders would all go half as fast as they should...

But in parallel you are drawing twice the amperage through the board... that's the equivalent of putting 5 transfer gears on a 7750... it will be interesting if that all holds up in there under the load...

yeah but i couldnt find a spare board and it was a cheap winder , lol so far so good its been going about a month or so now , no problems so far, i have four winders now so im not too worried , other than that particular one from those guys seems to be the worse one by far , loudest as well , but for now it is running , lol

as far as i can tell they run as they did before , just simutaneously now , thats all

basically it was just a suggestion instead of tossing it , lol and works fine so far

joe

Check this if you are in EU:

Watchwinder Ebay

I buzed one for 5 watches for 130 (if you are lucky may be less). I have also a problem with the board. I sent it back, and they send me a new one. It was 3 months old. The service is impresive. And the winder in really good, in super wood. And with the LCD you can controll everything easy. It is a cheap version for us EU members

Yeah, these jokers got me too!

I have a total of four quad watch winders all from ebay. I think I just might open up the steinhausen and see if I can fix it. If I mess up, there is a small motor repair guy down the street.

My latest winder from ebay seller "formsroyal" just went back because a side went out. It was less than 30 days old!

same thing happened to me , i beleive it was gadgetsbestbuy is who i bought mine from , so what i did was i shaved off the wires of the good side(so there would be a raw spot all the way around the red and black wire) and spliced the wires of the other side(the one that was using the bad side of the board) by basically cutting the white pusher off and had two raw ends and wrapped around the wires on the other side and put electric tape around it to hold them together and now they both work on one side of the board , lol how long it will last only time will tell , if u dont understand what the hek i did , lol just email me and i will try and help u understand ok

joe(rbj69)

I recommend that you get new winder, and not try to solder it back together yourself (not that you wouldn't be capable). Remember that these thing are plugged in and spinning 24/7. It'd be pretty sad if is sparked up, and burned your house down...

I got one of those 4 watch winders off of EBAY from the same guys.

Piece of crap gets louder every day. I finally quit using it, it was so noisy I couldn't take it. I even tried to lube the motors, no help at all.

My neighbor has one of the Sharper Image ones that rides on bearings, I'd guess with a belt turing the watch holder. It is quiet and works well.

Try these guys:

http://www.swisstgallery.com/

Relatively inexpensive, and I've had mine for years with no trouble. The first one I received from them had a scratch, and after emailing them, they actually sent me another 2nd day before I had even mailed the other back (which they paid for). Quite professional; rare that.

What can I say, I am a sucker for cool looking cases and things of that nature. Check out the winder here:

http://www.orbita.net/pages/12360.htm

What you cannot see in the photos is that is has carbon fiber panels on the front and top, the wood is REALLY nice and the inside is leather lined. When you have watches in there they sort of look like they are floating in space and the actual winders are all high end, bearing and all and very quiet. Now if I could only get one that works!

Now for the ultimate check this out:

http://www.orbita.net/pages/12912.htm

@GioArmani,

Thanks for posting the link for Swiss T. That looks like the route I will be going.

Try these guys:

http://www.swisstgallery.com/

Relatively inexpensive, and I've had mine for years with no trouble. The first one I received from them had a scratch, and after emailing them, they actually sent me another 2nd day before I had even mailed the other back (which they paid for). Quite professional; rare that.

I don't know... SwissT sounds fishy. I think it's an Asian company either masquarading as an American company, or they have an agent in the US to make it sound legit. Language on the site sounds funny: "The piano gloss is unremarkable." "Production of this hand crafted item takes 30 days so it can be ready for you tomorrow." "If not yet perfect, the front displays 4 additional watches so the entire collection is complete." Sounds like someone's trying to translate something into English. And the winders look awefully simliar to the ones we all get off of Ebay for $100. Anyone have photos of the insides of one? I'd be interested - my eBay special also got so noisy after a year of operation that I had to shut it off.

I believe most of these cheap winders we have are made by the same company in China.

They may have different brand names, or sold by different companies, but they look identical.

My experience is the same.

One or two of each winder on the quad winder has stopped dead.

I initally thought the motors burned out, tried to source new motors.

Upon complete disassembly it was the circuit board that had gone bad for that module.

Impossible to source new circuit board.

Oh well, still makes a nice display case.

http://www.amazon.com/Double-Automatic-Wat...8&s=jewelry

184291-6356.jpg

If you don't need any bells and whistles, and don't mind the "modern" black and silver look, this little winder is a very god buy. Wife got me one for Christmas and it gets the job done. Can't hear it when it's running unless I put my ear right to it and it looks really nice considering it's plastic..

regards,

Jack

http://www.amazon.com/Double-Automatic-Wat...8&s=jewelry

184312-6352.jpg

If you don't need any bells and whistles, and don't mind the "modern" black and silver look, this little winder is a very god buy. Wife got me one for Christmas and it gets the job done. Can't hear it when it's running unless I put my ear right to it and it looks really nice considering it's plastic..

regards,

Jack

IS this winder comes with AC 110-220 V adaptor ? :)