When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5512/13 crown guards...

automatico

I am wearing an MBK '5512' today and one thing that has always bothered me about it is the contour of the CG on the front side where they shield the inner edge of the crown a little bit (genuine 702 crown with just a hair of space between the case when screwed down).  I take that back because in reality it did not bother me too much to begin with but so many posters have said the CG on MBK cases need to be modified that I figured they must be pretty bad.

So...I went to:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=5512+rolex+history&qpvt=5512+rolex+history&FORM=IGRE

...and looked the various 5512 examples over closely.

What I found was maybe 50 that were different from my MBK CG and a few that were exactly like mine.

What gives?  They are posted by supposedly legit dealers so they should be genuine.  Who knows for sure now with all the Frankensteins?  I'll go with them being 'genuine' today.

Maybe my CG are not as bad as I thought.  I did not want to modify the CG because I would have to remove the crown and case tube to change the inner profile and really do not like the idea of grinding on expensive (to me) cases.

Also found a few 'thin font' bezel inserts like on the '5512', maybe they are replicas too...or maybe mine is not that bad after all. 

Now I can wear it outside the house in daylight!

What this all boils down to is if you do not like something about your '5512/13/1680' etc, just look at pictures of genuine examples until you find one just like it and...

Be Happy!   :)

Something else to consider is the MBK cases were made to accept genuine 15xx movements (12.5 ligne size) and most of the cartel cases are made to accept Eta 28xx and '21 jewel' movements (11.5 ligne size).  A rolex 15xx movement will not go into a 11.5 line spec case because the rolex movement OD is too big.