When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So You Want A Watch Stand?- Well, Here Is My Review

fotoman

Well, as many of you will have noticed, i use watch stands in my photos and on my watch display. I have tried a few different types now and have come across one that is far superior then any of the others. So i have put together a little review.

These stands i have gotten all from the same store on ebay. http://stores.ebay.com/FindingKing They have over 150,000 feedback on ebay - is that rediculous or what needless to say, good experiences.

The stands have come in packs of 3, 4 and 6 all ranging from 10-20 dollars shipped.

Let me introduce you to the crowd - i have 2 acrylic and 1 metal/ soft black feltish material.

184514-6314.jpg

Here are they from the side.

184514-6315.jpg

You may already be noticing there are some advantages to each design. - The 2 major factors in evaluation are 1. How well does it support/ hold the watch and 2. how well does it support itself - i.e. does it tip over.

As most of us have very large watches my comments will mainly focus on those.

First -

This first stand, is first, because it was the first one i recieved :)

184514-6316.jpg

All of my "headshot" watch photos were taken with these stands. Their big upside is they come in different heights which can make for a really cool display. You will have noticed them in the "family" pictures i take with several watches. However, the downside to these stands is 2 fold. While they support heavy thick leather banded watches quite well - because they don't "slide around" as much as a stainless steel band, they do not support the stainless well at all. in fact you have to use the back piece and log it with the buckle in order toget the watches to stay up at the correct angle.

With some playing though i was able to do some good things with these stands for photos.

The smaller and less heavy watches do fit better.

This stand though has a very small base. For such large and heavy watches like PAM it just begs to be tipped over. Don't bump your table or shelf where these are standing.

Additionally, i have scuffed a few stainless bands trying to make this stand work. there is a sharp plastic surface that comes into contact with large SS bands, like on this PO

Finally the plastic puts tension on the band in order to keep the watch up. However, when i have used these stands for my wife's pam, which has a small strap, over time the plastic molded to that size. This is of course good and bad. It fits like a glove, but it won't fit anything else anymore.

Stand 2 - orderd the same time as stand 1 but recieved later.

184514-6317.jpg

I'm not going to say alot about this stand because it is very limited in useability. It is very firm hard plastic. Almost no large watch can fit on there because of the size of the hold cut for the band to go around.

This stand is very good for small and womens watches such as datejust and small pateks

The stand has a very wide base and is very stable and not succeptible to tipping.

Because of the rigid plastic only watches of a certain size will fit - this stand is not practical to handle a collection with variety

Finally - the good one. - i recieved this last.

184514-6318.jpg

This stand is GREAT. First, the base of it is weighted, and weighted well, it very easily handles the awkwardness of this 45mm PO with very little tip factor.

the watch holding part is made of a metal material that is bendable but maintains a nice resistance to hold the watch firmly in place. It is covered with a nice soft velvaty material which does not damage the watch

even better the post connecting it to the base is also covered with that nice material.

Because of the metal holder section these stands can be adjusted to fit any size watch.

because of the stiffness of the metal, you can adjust the watch to hold in any position at any angle.

These are by far my favorite and are the only ones i will buy from now on. They are currently being offered in white leather on that ebay site.

One of the reasons i have gotten these stands is that my cheapy watch box doesn't hold Very large watches next to each other without them touching. So i had to find someplace else to move my big watches. I really love these stands and feel very comfortable leaving my precious on them :)

Hope this was helpful to you

Enjoy!!!

PHOBAND

great post. :D

You forgot to mention the size of your wrist, however. I found with my 6.75" wrist, I was breaking a lot of stands unless I added links for photos which wasn't convenient at all. Then, however, Narikaa sent me some smaller ones and I'm breaking them at a much, much lower rate. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

great post. :D

You forgot to mention the size of your wrist, however. I found with my 6.75" wrist, I was breaking a lot of stands unless I added links for photos which wasn't convenient at all. Then, however, Narikaa sent me some smaller ones and I'm breaking them at a much, much lower rate. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Funny enough i have never actually measured my wrist. But on stainless steel bands, i always have to remove 2 links.

I use these stands also for my wife's watches. She has TINY TINY wrists. i can't even get her watches around stand number unless they are partially undone :)