When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Eta And Asian Copy Works

FxrAndy

Caveat Emptor...

TT

Really? Because, while I know the board does not officially sanction dealers, the prevailing wisdom and ongoing commentary from the membership is that if you buy a watch from "one of our trusted dealers" you will be OK. I am not suggesting we are NOT ok with this advertising, but it is at least a bit misleading.

i can't speak for tt, but i'm guessing he means "know what it is you're buying before you buy it" (ie. do some research on a watch's movement before buying it). same thing could be said for the asian 7750 -- it has its known issues (particularly the old version); some people refuse to buy watches w/ asian 7750 as a result.

should be interesting to see ziggy's forthcoming review...

dt

Really? Because, while I know the board does not officially sanction dealers, the prevailing wisdom and ongoing commentary from the membership is that if you buy a watch from "one of our trusted dealers" you will be OK. I am not suggesting we are NOT ok with this advertising, but it is at least a bit misleading.

i can't speak for tt, but i'm guessing he means "know what it is you're buying before you buy it" (ie. do some research on a watch's movement before buying it). same thing could be said for the asian 7750 -- it has its known issues (particularly the old version); some people refuse to buy watches w/ asian 7750 as a result.

should be interesting to see The Zigmeister's forthcoming review...

dt

I agree of course that you need to research before buying a movement you are unfamilar with.. but the issue here has been addressed in the 'white lies.."thread, i.e. buying a movement that you think you know, only to find out is is not the movement you thought it was (Abbot and Costello have nothing on me!)

i don´t undertstand why we need a ETA copy movement?????

ETA 2824-2 cost in switzerland $45-$50 factory price. And ETA 2836-2 from asian ETA factorys are cheaper and if you order 1000pieces like rep factorys maybe it cost $30each???

Why we need a ETA copy?

$30 is to expensive for ETA 2836-2?

I realy would love to see Ziggys break down of this, if all the parts fit from one to the other it would tell us some thing, maybe like it was made on the same tooling. What will happen when ETA stop selling out side the swatch group? well if this is made on the same tooling then it will be bad, because then the movements will have to leave the factory by and even smaller back door (and i am not reffering to a scean from Pulp fiction), but if it is from different tooling and the quality is good then we can breathe easily again. I am not an ETA snob as i have said before it is just that the micro aduster maces them so easy to regulate.

and maybe 6 times better quality as the Asian ones

look 7750 copy and 6497 copy movements... :bicycle:

Sure, but when they're making the watch for $1 or $2 and adding a $5 movement, why bother using a $30 movement instead?

Ok, the real reason is that in 2011, ETA is no longer selling movements and people have started stockpiling them. This means no surplus and the surplus is where the rep makers get their movements.

Better?

Sure, but when they're making the watch for $1 or $2 and adding a $5 movement, why bother using a $30 movement instead?

Ok, the real reason is that in 2011, ETA is no longer selling movements and people have started stockpiling them. This means no surplus and the surplus is where the rep makers get their movements.

Better?

do you mean i make many money with my ETA movements from 2011 :thumbsupsmileyanim:

don´t worry friends. I will get ETA movements also after 2011 :whistling:

Edited by tourbillon1801

well... i think the planet ocean would be more "authentic" with the slow beat 21j seagull movement anyway. the 28800 eta copy will have too smooth sweep. my genuine you can see tick 4 times per second! the omega 2500 movement is a modified 2892 with a coaxial escapement that runs very slow! not a smooth sweep but very consistant and precise. a smooth sweep is a givaway!